• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 straight piped

BigDawg41

The muffler on my M813 rotted out too badly to be repaired and a new one is kind of pricey. So I decided to eliminate the muffler and straight pipe it. I searched and couldn't find any pictures of how other people have done theirs. If I liked how it sounded and it is going to be permanent,I didn't want to use flex pipe. I searched and found 2 reasonably priced 4 bolt Cummins flanges and 2 flared downspout connectors. I then used 2 90 degree elbows and one flared adapter to connect them in the middle. One elbow has to be a shorter radius than the other for it to line up to the stack flange. I also used 4 band style exhaust clamps to tighten everything and for a cleaner look. It took several hours of fitting,cutting and adjusting to achieve the proper clearances and to get the stack to line up straight. I also ditched the 2 metal springs where the stack mounts to the vertical bracket. I used 2 heavy rubber isolators to hold it better to keep it from moving alot and vibrating bad and making that high pitched metallic squeak from the brackets rubbing.No matter how much I tried in the past to adjust that long bolt with the springs it would always shift and squeak BAD at idle. It still allows for some movement but the squeak is gone. I took it for a 10 mile ride and everything stayed where it should and it sounded awesome from inside the cab. Now I will have to paint it with some high temp paint so it looks better through the wheel opening. I have about $100.00 into it since I got the clamps and one elbow for free from my work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXa43JctEAw

Attachments

BigDawg41

You'll get tired of that racket pretty quick. Ask me how I know.
Update: What? Did you say something? Ok,OK. You were right. It was cool for awhile but I just couldn't stands it no more-especially the passengers. Had to throw a muffler back on it. Now I can hear the sweet rattle of that Cummins again. What was that again?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Update: What? Did you say something? Ok,OK. You were right. It was cool for awhile but I just couldn't stands it no more-especially the passengers. Had to throw a muffler back on it. Now I can hear the sweet rattle of that Cummins again. What was that again?
The noise actually comes thru your body and into your ear drums even when wearing headphones

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The noise actually comes thru your body and into your ear drums even when wearing headphones

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
I drove my M934 from Bragg to Lewis (NC to WA).

Even with earplugs, every time I stopped for a break, it'd take a good 10-20 mins to stop 'hearing' the engine...

I'm gonna check clearances for mounting the muffler under the cab, and dump 90* to the ground, just past the air line bleeders...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks