• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 w / turbo

M215

Hello all,
I'm in the process of acquiring all the pieces parts to add a turbo to our M813, currently I have the exhaust manifold and turbo (Holset BHT3B). My question is regarding placement of the exhaust, I want to run the exhaust up the back RH corner of the cab. The large space between the batteries and bottom of the cab is 12" tall. This space could accommodate a 7-8" diameter muffler (4" exhaust size). Our M813 has a little extra space between the back of the cab and the front of the bed. Our truck was originally a std fixed side bed and we changed it to a drop side. The drop side bed sits a few inches further back on the frame rails, not sure why, but possibly from a 900 series?
So my concern / question is how do I protect the batteries and the bottom of the cab from excessive heat? Would an aluminum shield or some type of heat resistant material be sufficient? If needed I'll relocate the batteries.
Thank you for any constructive input.
Karl.

jdknech

If you are adding a turbo, I would run 5" exhaust.. Not 4".. You will need the extra flow with the turbo. (More air in, means more air out) this is what I did when I turbo'ed the 250 in my M932.. And just a tin shield should work for your battery's..

M215

Turbo install is complete and first major test run towing the Halftrack to the Va. Graves Mtn Rally over the Labor Day weekend went well. Big improvement in pulling power with the turbo, well worth the expense and effort. Also the exhaust temps are greatly reduced, before turbo the exhaust temps easily hit 1200 degrees and required easing up on the throttle. Now with the turbo the exhaust temp never reached 900 degrees on hard pull up hills. My only complaint is the noise, very loud (straight exhaust, no muffler), 5" exhaust pipe.
IMG_5495.jpgIMG_5494.jpgIMG_5493.jpgIMG_5492.jpgIMG_5491.jpg

jdknech

VERY nice install! looks factory... as far as the noise, if you raise the exhaust up a couple more feet, and point it straight up, it will lessen the noise.. mine is 3ft above the cab, and is very manageable..

M215

The turbo builds 10-12 psi boost at 1,900 - 2,100 rpm, you really need to drive by the gauges and go easy on the throttle on a hard pull. I believe it will do more, but I'm unsure how far to push it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks