• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813A1 I got - what do you think?

asafk

Hi all,

I got this M813A1 today. Still have to pull it out of where it is standing for the last ten years, but it will probably start.
Apart from being vandalized by some kids who broke everything in the cab, there is an unknown problem in the air system (was not building pressure, 10 years ago, the last time it was started).
What do you think? can you estomate the amount of work that I will put into this truck just in order to make it run (I'm not talking about the body) ?

Thanks,

Asaf.

Attachments

Sirblissfull

Pics of the engine might help for a better estimate.

Just the gauges glass and doors your out at least a thousand U.S. The seat depending on if you go with a replacement spring seat or a newer air ride could be another 500. Compressor or tanks hoses you can get lucky or might have to replace it all.

R Racing

Its a project. But I do believe it could run again. As far as the air pressure it could be something as simple as a damaged hose or stuck air govener.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'm gonna take a shot and guess these are hard to find there. I love the 813 and that series of 5tons.:-D

I don't think anyone can give you a reasonable estimate on the work needed to make it run from pics...or to build air unless you show something obvious.
I'll say this though...we got an M813 without a transmission and a stuck engine and transplanted a transmission, broke the engine loose...after it sat for about 12 years, and it is a "front line" truck now.

As folks say on here...your mileage may vary!!:jumpin:

eldgenb

you would be surprised how little it may take to make it run again. REPLACE ALL FUEL LINES BEFORE TRYING TO START. This always seems to be a big problem on ones that are even serviced regularly. The pump uses suction to run and the smallest air leak in the lines will put her down.

M813A1

It is a Decent looking truck and like you said a Little TLC and it should be a Good running truck Just get a complete set of T.O.s and read you will learn alot about the truck and what to look for if you trouble shoot the issues that you will come across !!! You wil feel real Good about your truck when you have it all Done !!! Nice Ride Good Luck !!

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the primer pump there? If so, check all the fittings, and O rings. My 814 has a air leak somewheres in the fuel line, and it makes the Cummins do strange things

asafk

I have a plan now.
as soon as I will have a free weekend, We will go "shopping" for cabin parts and air system parts in the desert, where the airforce uses trucks as targets... (I need to find the ones that they have missed).
Then we will replace some fuel lines, troubleshoot the air system, put some air in the tires and a battery, and we're good to go (well, should be good to go).

thanks for the advice, everyone!

Asaf.

asafk

just a quick update...
I got some intel the other week about a good looking 5-ton just next to a paratroopers camp... the tuck is being used as a target. so i got there on saturday, and found a pretty complete multifuel...
Took some of the cab parts I need, and some other parts I thought i might need. the driver door didn't came off easily and I will have to go back there for it ( I was making too much noise).
Today I went to visit my truck, found that someone stole all the high-amp cables from the batt to starter, so we tied two batteries on the fender, and with jumper cables supllied power directly to the starter, some spray into the intake manifold, an then... it started in seconds. with 15 years old fuel... then I drove around the lot. but it doesn't brake - air doesn't build up.

next I will have to "shop" (another trip to one of the places where trucks are used as targets) for some air hoses that are missing, so I can actually take the truck out.

Again, thanks for your good advices, It helped a lot today.

Asaf.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't believe guys steal much less talk about it in an open forum. I don't care if it is on a range or whatever. Its not yours

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the air line glad hands shut off? That will keep pressure from building up.

sw

asafk

believe me, it's not stealing. I wouldn't do it if it was. it's common and nobody care.
a truck getting hit by RPG or a 1-ton bomb doesn't care if it has a starter switch or not.

regarding the gladhands - I cancelled one that was leaking. but there a missing hose that I cannot go further in troubleshooting without it.

Asaf.

Last edited:

emr

interesting, to us taking parts anywhere is a big no no, but the United States have rules on everything and everything is owned by someone, sooo, There are trucks and stuff that are just junk and lyin around., i can see this, and have heard of this from friends who have and are serving over seas, but remember we on this site are very very cautious about such stuff and never want to be associated with anything that might tarnish the hobby, good luck :)

M813A1

When it comes to getting the doors off the hinge . I would recommend a flame wrench to heat the hinge up and then use a hammer to tap the pin up and out of the hinge if not, it is far harder to take the hinge off the body !!

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not the "stealing" (or appropriating) part I'm so concerned about. It's being out on that live(?) range that sort-a, kind-a gets me a little worried. Please be very cautious!!