• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 brake issue

dreameweaver

I have an M816 wrecker, when I set the brakes to use the winch the brakes will not release. The micro brake switch works well. It says to release step on pedal. Not sure if there is something else that may be wrong, so if anyone has ran into this problem any help would be great.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Need to step REAL hard on the brake peddle (harder then you did to set them), I have the same issue on the 819

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never had that issue.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Think it depends on how hard the brakes are set in the first place, If I just use stopping brake pressure, they release fairly easy, if I really press the brake peddle down then set them, then it takes a bit of pressure to release them

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found this on Mico's site.

The brake lock does not incorporate a pressure limiting

function. Therefore, the operator should avoid

excessive brake pedal force when applying the brake

lock. Excessive force causes high pressure to be

locked in the brakes which can be difficult to release.

Changes in outside temperature can cause locked

up pressure to increase or decrease. A rise in temperature

can cause increased pressure in the brake

system which can lead to damaged brake system

components and made it difficult to release locked

brake pressure. To minimize the effects of temperature

changes, the brake lock must be released and reapplied

every hour.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sounds like you could just crack a bleeder open and release the pressure. Then they will either release on their own, or lower the peddle pressure to release the brakes.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, today I had an interesting failure with the M819.

The steel brake line from Master Cylinder failed while my Mico Brake was engaged(when I went to release the brake). Without the ability to build brake line pressure, I was not able to release the Mico Brake.

I tried pressing the button a few times, while trying to move the truck, eventually it released.

I only moved it a few feet to a better location, to repair the line in the near future.

fwiw, My manual parking brake works fine, and it was chocked when the failure occurred.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks