• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816/M543 bodies on civi trucks

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whilst doing research into the Australian Armys M816's, I came across a few that had been canabalised and mounted on a civi truck chassis as well as just civi use of the whole truck. Not sure if the cranes are 816 or 543's though.
M816 civi DROPS.jpgM816 civi on COE.jpgM816 civiCOE.jpgM816 civi.jpg

and yes - the first one has been put on a 'flat pack' for switching out with an underlift added!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Whats the research for? You planning on visiting your crocodile hunter side of 5he family for Christmas?

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The red 816 in your last photos looks like the one from a scene in Mad Max (original); highway crash where Captain Fifi warns Max that the bikers are after him with a bounty on his head.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No Gimp, no Croc hunting for me - Barramundi perhaps.

Research is into the differences between the Aussie Army's M816's and the US issued ones...

wcuhillbilly

I use mine commercially when its not broke down in my yard..... Aussies also Jaked and turbo'd a lot of theirs,,,, Some Canadians were also retro'd if I remember right.... either way you go,,, aussies are cool...

Did anyone notice that the Hydro reservoir is missing/ relocated on the Green Grealy wrecker?????? How did they manage that one on an 816 hydro system...

BTW Found a craigslist add in North Dakota for a wrecker some time back,,,, it was a commercial KW or Pete with an 816 bed/crane dropped on the rails.... they had rigged up a remote hydro control for the crane and removed the operators roost. wanted $ 60K+ for it .....

Last edited:

XLTVIE

Back in the 60's Tyson Foods (the chicken people) had an R model Mack w/sleeper built-up with a m-62 wrecker body. It was used for coast-to-coast runs to retrieve their broken semi's. There was an article on it in the Mack house magazine.

wcuhillbilly

Eventually wanting to make the bed removable on my m816, kinda like they did with that blue and yellow one.
wow,,,, that would be tough with all the confounded linkages under our beds,,, guess we had better get on the hydro conversions,,,,,, hm,,,, now did that blue line connect to the red line or the green line.............

red

wow,,,, that would be tough with all the confounded linkages under our beds,,, guess we had better get on the hydro conversions,,,,,, hm,,,, now did that blue line connect to the red line or the green line.............
2 PTO shafts, 3 linkage rods, 2 air lines. I don't use the rear throttle lever so could eliminate that linkage. Will go more in depth in the 'rescued m816' thread as this project gets closer.

wcuhillbilly

2 PTO shafts, 3 linkage rods, 2 air lines. I don't use the rear throttle lever so could eliminate that linkage. Will go more in depth in the 'rescued m816' thread as this project gets closer.
Im looking forward to that write up..... BTW finally got my pics to upload over on the wrecker CV shaft busted thread. Machinist did a good job and now I have a flange to build a driveline off of to resurrect the crane.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks