• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 multifuel and 53" tires

metalman99

Thanks for the replies, this isn't about prepping, it's about building a versatile armored MV for fun, the same reason it seems most eveyone on SS has them. Most all different and built to suite their owners own taste.

I have some time and cash on my hands and am looking for a project to do with my sons. I have a metal shop and ALOT of metal fab resources at my disposal. I'm doing this for fun and something to do, not necessarily to bug out.

For me, this is like building go-karts when I was a kid. And what about the recent thread about what do you want to build? I'm not into mini semi's or homemade submarines.

When I start the build thread, anyone that thinks this is stupid or not well thought out or whatever will enjoy the thread. The entire truck will be 3D modeled in Solid Works and built from the ground up with top notch parts and metal fab.

I'm asking all the questions on here because I am trying to think it through and learn. I'm not an MV guy, i'm a welder / fabricator by trade, now business owner, and appreciate all the advice and answers to my questions on SS. Just because of SS, i've slowed down, backed off the M816 and been to a couple of MV dealers to drive and learn more.

I look forward to the very helpful replies sharing knowledge and advice that will help me decide which platform to use, (M52 vs. F550) and also to my specific MV questions.

If anyone can help with my question about mounting HEMTT wheels on a 5 ton rear axle or if anyone has mounted the MRAP wheels on a 5 ton, please let me know, that's really my hang-up right now, since i'm pretty sure the M52A2 is my rig, and likely won't be using 53's anymore, (thanks for that advice).

Thanks again for the help.

metalman99

Okay well you can tag a tank in some states but if you want a target painted on you go ahead and build and or buy something like you have pictured there, also isn't a v100 something like that? If you want something that doesn't shout look at me I am armored! So get the big gun! Make it look semi normal outside but armor it so the gangbanger down the street takes a pot shot at the military truck does no harm and you keep rolling out of town.
Thanks, this is something I'm considering. Once I feel i've learned enough to make a decision which vehicle would be right to begin with, i'll decide how discreet I want the vehicle to be.

Quite of few have brought up that this vehicle would be a target, that is something that I did not fully consider initially.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thanks, this is something I'm considering. Once I feel i've learned enough to make a decision which vehicle would be right to begin with, i'll decide how discreet I want the vehicle to be.

Quite of few have brought up that this vehicle would be a target, that is something that I did not fully consider initially.
Make it look like something it isn't, like a deuce fuel truck (m49), it has pockets for bows so you can tarp it and LOOK like a standard cargo truck, same idea as the "Q" ships of WW2 (heavily armed with BIG guns but LOOKED like a ordinary freighter)

pad_cdr

I say go for it. What are you going to do for windows? Try for a super thick bulletproof glass, or go for armored shutters and install tank periscopes?

As far as making yourself a target, wtshtf, I think any vehicle moving will be a target.

Csm Davis

Hemmit rims will be what you want for heavy duty like smashing cars or trees and if you are going with the rims you might as well go with the tires as well. They are not bullet proof but have a set with runflats filled with foam and they will get you where you are going. Save them in big vacuum sealed bags and you shouldn't have any problems when you need them. For everyday use get a set of five ton combat rims and 14.00s much lighter and easier to use. You can flip the rear hubs if you want but you don't need to the singled wheels will work both ways. Most mrap wheels have a different bolt pattern.

commandojeff

You do realize these trucks weigh a little more than go-karts right? :mrgreen:. Like watch changing a tire with your kid around... cause it would likely crush him pretty good if it fell on him. Parts on a deuce don't weigh as much as parts for the 5 ton. But it's all heavy work and requires a little more umpfff.

With that being said, go for it. People can sit around and tell you what to buy all day. But you really should get out there and drive some stuff. Read read read until your eyes burn on here, then read some more. Look at the manuals for the trucks you are looking at getting. Believe it or not, I actually learned a few things from reading the manuals.

I really hate to see people ruining these trucks and modifying them to beyond saving. It hurts to see original equipment being hacked up. It's funny how cheap these may seem right now, but what about it 40...60 years from now when people are paying BIG money to get their hands on one? Look at the WWII equipment today. I forked out 3 times as much for my original jeep than I did for my 5 ton. But back when jeeps were a dime a dozen, many were destroyed. To each his own... At the end of the day, it is your truck and you can do whatever you want with it. That's the beauty of it. I drive mine and maintain it. When it comes down to it, my reasons for owning the truck are no better than yours and it's a great hobby :driver:.

A moving story that you might want to look into is this one. It really shows that these trucks aren't as incapable as you may think. These were built for the US military after all. Realistically, a standard deuce or 5 ton will meet every need you seek. Put some armor on the cab and call it done. Good luck!
Lone Star MVPA - ('05 Hurricane Katrina Experience)

Monty

If your looking for a vehical to start on let me know, I maybe selling a few trucks since I have something else going on thats taking up alot of my time. Send me a PM and I can get you my contact information.

I live just North of you and I'm alot cheaper than Oskosh truck :).

Monty

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If your looking for a vehical to start on let me know, I maybe selling a few trucks since I have something else going on thats taking up alot of my time. Send me a PM and I can get you my contact information.

I live just North of you and I'm alot cheaper than Oskosh truck :).

Monty
Anybody is cheaper then Oskosh truck

commandojeff

Davis. I don't know if that is the stock 939 rim. But I do know that when I bought my 923 from GL, these are the rims that it came with. So with that being said, yes, I think they are the rims they come with.

metalman99

Thanks alot to eveyonet that replied to this thread, I really slowed down and did alot of reading to make sure I found the right MV to start this build.

I decided on an M51A2, this is my first MV and will be the foundation of a build that I am starting. Just got delivered tonight!

Here is the build thread for anyone that wants to follow. This truck is going to be unlike anything i've come across on SS and I look forward to all of the input and advice that it's going to take to get this done.

Attachments

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't help but shake my head when I hear preppers talk about using modern diesel vehicles as BOVs...especially the ones that require DEF. I usually get a blank look when I ask them what they plan on doing when their truck's ECU requires a re-flash at the dealership after they bug out...and the truck won't run...or what to do when their truck goes into Limp Mode because it needs the DEF refilled. [NOT saying this is you, metalman99, just making a random observation].

As for the possibility of a repower, how about a Detroit Diesel Series 50 engine? You can get early ones without electronics, or early DDEC electronics to simplify things. They are 4-stroke engines, light weight, and for their size put out a good amount of torque and HP. They're reliable when you maintain them, and their size would fit perfectly in a 5-ton's engine bay. That would allow you to run a very nice transmission behind them and not interfere with the location of the transfer case nor radiator mounts.

metalman99

I don't think that's me, this has a good Multifuel, so it's going to run on almost anything and since it's old, no computer or anything. I have no intention of repowering it, I bought it specifically because it is old and multifuel.

I'm not a prepper at all, no offense taken there. This is really just a project for me to get hands on again and build something cool.

I've been trying to start my build thread for a day not and SS wont let me.

Danger Ranger

Diesel Engine Fluid.
...or something more technical, that in essence, makes your burn cleaner, and lowers egts.

If this was a joke I fell right into it....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks