• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m816 now with turbo fitted and running

martinsaunders06

hello, ive been watching jwallers post on his turbo fitment and today i finnished fitting one to my 816 and ran it for about one hour. the donor engine was a 290 with a holset turbo approx 85mm inlet and 120mm exh outlet. fuel pump had previously been tweaked a little. have made up piping to use original inlet manifold for now just to see how it goes so i dont have to cut bonnet yet and will prob fit correct pressure crossover/inlet if/when happy with it and will then modify bonnet to suit.had to move/modify coolant header tank and at moment is running with no exh silencer and consequently sounds great and whistles more than m35. havent drove on road yet due to time today. due to no intercooler have covered all piping with thermo sleeve to minimise under bonnet temps on air intakepipes so will see how it goes. ?it would be good to hear how jwallers is going?. thanks martin

98hd

I wonder if it would be easier to just move the air filter assembly over to the drivers side (or maybe use an M54 unit) and then you could run the crossover in front of the engine, and get rid of that large air intake pipe.

I'm looking forward to eventually turboing my XM818

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
once you do a drive around and see how it performs you must tell all. and yes to the parts list that would certainly help my 816

martinsaunders06

yeah it would of been dead simple to put air cleaner on the other wing but i wanted to keep the 809 series look as that big airbox mounted on the drivers wing is so distinctive!. to the cummins trucks.. shame the heater had to go but will work on refitting it somewhere later.. im not happy with the cossover but until i know it works it will be ok and can tidy up at a later stage. also using the original intake manifold means you can still use the cold start without any hassle. on thing for sure is with 14 litres straight out the turbo it sounds mean and definately makes the m35 sound like a kitten.:-D

martinsaunders06

ok drove the 816 for the first time and it definately will pull between 3rd and 4th high now( altho does sound cool going thro low box up top high) and it will hang onto its revs now and recover fine from 1000rpm.The exh note really whistles but most notably sounds ace when under load=a real deep throaty roar.!!Unlike before with no turbo the coolant temp does not rise on the gauge when the motor is worked hard and also before in the cab you knew when it was working hard because it suddenly used to to warm inside which it doesnt now. Under load there is no black smoke and it runs very clean so i would imagine it would again benefit from a larger capacity fuel pump but not sure it is really necessary and the other notable thing is the motor is so much quieter in its self(if that makes sense)it seems too of lost that harsh diesel rattle/knock/clatter. as im happy with the results i think i may fit the original crossover that came with the turbo and cut the bonnet
martin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks