• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 on ice?

jimmcld

Has anyone ever driven a M816 on Ice? I am wondering how it would behave. I think it would have enough traction to go, but how would it stop?

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOT without tire chains..... That would be a wild ride if it gets loose. I know what my M-62 does on ice without them, and THAT is why it stays home on days like that. Too big to allow to get loose.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It is going to behave like any other vehicle on ice......slip and slide.

It is a heavy vehicle with plenty of weight on the tandems and front wheel drive but it's still going to be like a hog on ice without chains or other traction devices.

Unless it is an absolute emergeny the best thing to do is stay off ice......snow maybe...but ice will get you in trouble quick...especially if you have to stop (assumng you gained any speed at all).

And unlike a deuce with air shift front wheel drive you can't lock in the front wheels before you get into trouble.

Just my two cents worth.

dc3coyote

I cant find the pic in Search, but CitizenSoldier has a good pic of his out in the ice. I know he had it back on the old site days. Maybe someone else still has it.
Its a great pic of the 818 doing ice breaking duties in Northern Michigian.

m816Buch

sounds like you guys need drivers ed..........caution in any vehicle in bad weather........like little kids, just because vehicle is 6x6 or 4x4 does not mean you can still drive 55 on ice......wake up america

I cant find the pic in Search, but CitizenSoldier has a good pic of his out in the ice. I know he had it back on the old site days. Maybe someone else still has it.
Its a great pic of the 818 doing ice breaking duties in Northern Michigian.
Maybe your thinking of my M819?
although not wearing chains in this picture.

Attachments

jimmcld

sounds like you guys need drivers ed..........caution in any vehicle in bad weather........like little kids, just because vehicle is 6x6 or 4x4 does not mean you can still drive 55 on ice......wake up america

When I had drivers ed, they wouldn't let me take it in a 816. Also, most of them won't get up to 55mph anyway. But if you needed to go help someone out of a bad spot when there is ice on the road, it would be nice to get some advice from someone who has done it before.

Blood_of_Tyrants

I am with the others. In icy conditions if you don't have chains, STAY OFF THE ROAD. If you have a life threatening emergency (medical or survival) where you HAVE to go out. Go slow and I mean SLOOOOOW, with a max speed of maybe 5 mph. Plan stops 100 yards ahead, avoid hills and sharp curves if at all possible. If you have to go up or down a steep hill, then look for a place to take your truck offroad and get traction on the shoulder or even in a shallow ditch.

Ice + 14 ton truck w/o chains = traffic accident.

emr

OK 2 very silly questions so far......... :shock:...really well they are very special and no one is supposed to know about the deicing driveline in the 813, shhhhh..... :)

m816Buch

just take your time going somewhere and when meeting traffic on two lane i usually slow to a crawl and give room to on coming traffic........longer stop times and slow on curves........you should be alright but just don't get too comfortable with it cause that's when you find the perverbial ditch.......in this area a lot of our folks are liable to try to pass

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks