• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m816 starting issue

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 816 has been running fine. I last used it maybe a month ago. I went to move it to mow the grass and it started right up. Seemed a little sluggish and then shut off. Maybe ran for 10 seconds. Now she won't start. Turns over great but no start. seems like a fuel problem.

I checked the 34 and it suggest bad shut off valves, or bad drive shaft in the fuel pump or improper adjustment on the injectors. I don't see how any of this could have happend in a month of sitting but I could be wrong. I checked the fuel filter and it looks clean. The bowl has plenty of fuel also.

Any ideas?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
screw the bypass thumb screw on the fuel shut off valve in, this will make the valve be on, once done, see if it will start, if it does, you will need to shut it down by the emg. shut down, is the truck does start, replace the fuel shut off solenoid. if it does not start, look for a air leak

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M819 will start then stall, then start and idle high for a few seconds . I have been using the primer pump to build up pressure, after it stalls, then it starts right back up. I have not found any air leaks yet, but I need to inspect the in-tank pick up tube(they rust through above the fuel level).

I think the stall/odd idle/hard restart, is common of an IP in need of a rebuild.

area52

try to pressurize the fuel tank with a very low air pressure (1 or 2 psi) and check the fuel lines for leaks. Air is probably getting in and causing the hard starts.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if your lokig for air leak, loook first at the POS fuel change over valve, then the lines from it

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tried turning the screw on the shut off valve. It is a thumb screw and the head just spins so I could not override the valve. I am getting some black smoke out of the stack so there is some fuel getting to the engine.

It seemed to diesel a little bit but it won't catch.

i did notice a crack in the fuel line coming from the filter to the pump. However no fuel leak.

Any suggestions on where to get a shut off valve solenoid? SEC0?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Air, from a molecular standpoint, is smaller than fuel. So under pressure, it can "plug" itself an not leak. But remove the pressure and you allow fuel back in. Fix that cracked line.

augiedoggy

SE,You might consider disconnecting the inlet line at the injection pump, place a seperate fuel can under hood and put a large diameter hose from the tank to the pump inlet. See if it runs better this way. If it does you've verified its sucking air somewhere.
Sorry if I keep mentioning this in similar threads but it really helped me out; I had cracking hoses at the tank selector valve. :roll:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
augie thanks for the suggestion. thats an excellent idea. Did you have a fuel leak at the cracked hose?

augiedoggy

augie thanks for the suggestion. thats an excellent idea. Did you have a fuel leak at the cracked hose?
I never saw fuel leaking from them, and no dampness ect. Once removed and inspected, the cracking was obvious. I think Patracy is right about air in and no fuel out. I cut the crimps off and got some bulk fuel line with clamps to repair rather than spring for the real deal; I'm cheap! Works fine, no more problems.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
A guy I work for once in a while replaces the fuel line from the filter to the IP before he even tries to start the trucks(800 series). It has been such a thorn in his side he swaps them out regardless.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still no dice. I replaced the cracked line and still would not start. I took the line loose from the filter and put into a 5 gallon can of fuel. straight to the pump and still no start. It kinda acted like it wanted too. Blew some black smoke and almost caught once.

I also cracked open the line coming out of the fuel pump and verified it was pumping fuel when cranking.

It does not produce black smoke every time i try to start it. Mostly it does not. How do you insure the sytem is fully primed?

My batteries are also a little low but I have been slaving off one of my other trucks. It seems to be turning over fine but maybe I should get some fresh batteries too.

i did notice what appeared to be some algae growth in the old cracked fuel line. I'm thinking this may have something to do with it.

Any more ideas

area52

If you put the fuel line after the filter in a 5 gallon can and it still did not start, then more than likely its your IP. There is a small filter inside the pump itself. There is a large flat screw on top that you unscrew and its a small metal filter.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my pump does not have the screw on top. In the -20 there are 3 different pumps showing the filter . My does not appear to match any of them. the closest appears to be the VS pump. it has a filter access on the bottom. I am not sure where to get a replacement. Maybe seco or Memphis equipment.

Thank you for the help. i hope to have her back on the road soon.

Still open for any ideas.

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see no way to access this filter with the pump mounted to the truck. My pump is the VS pump but my housing is slightly different than the one depicted in the -20 TM. The filter is in the bottom of the pump and is obstucted by part of the housing that does not appear in the TM

Has anyone had any luck with servicing your own pump or having it repaired at a diesel shop.

The pump is pumping fuel . Is it possible that it is not pumping at the proper pressure to start the engine?

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
good news. Today I was able to get the truck running. I took the shut off valve bypass screw all the way out of the injection pump. I turned the starter over and it blew some trash out of the hole. Put the screw back in and it started right up.

The only problem is now it will only shut off by pulling the emergency shut off. Maybe i have a bad solenoid or I have the screw in to far. I am afraid to mess with since it is running well.

802dot1q

screw the bypass thumb screw on the fuel shut off valve in, this will make the valve be on, once done, see if it will start, if it does, you will need to shut it down by the emg. shut down, is the truck does start, replace the fuel shut off solenoid. if it does not start, look for a air leak
Where is this screw? I've been all over the TM and the truck!?!?

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's on the fuel pump in front of the solenoid. It is on the side of the pump toward the engine block.