• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 wrecker reach?

Mark3395

I want to help a friend switch an M109 box onto his M35A3 chassis.

Have any of you done such a switch? Will the boom of an M816 wrecher lift an M109 box off the frame?

gunboy1656

Seems to me it would. There is a clip on youtube showing an S280 being removed from a deuce, and I believe the S280 sits higher in the bed then a n M109 bed.

Would be a tight fit.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, but have to keep the chains short for overhead room. You want the chains as long as possible, but still have enough height to lift the box off. The more angle on the chains/straps, the more strain they are under. Or use a heavy duty spreader bar.

Here is the shelter video. It's a M62 crane, but should be the same with an M816. I'm the tall ugly dude in the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI2ypYeryNA

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

March 14th, 2010.

Man, I've got to add a wrecker to my "To be acquired" equipment list! How much more capable is a 5 ton wrecker versus the deuce mounted units? Good lift, Gimpy[thumbzup]

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:)

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M108's(deuce crane) have 2 feet shorter reach, and 2,000lbs less lift. But they are much shorter trucks, and easier to maneuver in tight areas. I've picked up 12,000lbs before with the M108, but it was right on the rear bumper, and the front of the truck was barely on the ground. 5 ton's also have the ability to use boom jacks on the ground to get 20,000lbs lift, just can't swing the load.

Mark3395

Thanks much for the info.

I thought it would work too.

Matter of fact we have to remove an S280 from the 35A3, and that extra height too will add to difficulty.

Well, we'll give it a try.

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks