• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 wrecker

Hello, I am new to this forum. Was trying to do some research and the name of this forum kept coming up. I am thinking about buying my first and hopefully not my last military rig. I want something that is rugged and made to work. I am trying to start a small salvage company (wood, steel, etc), and think this truck would be a good start. What is everyone option of these trucks and any issue with them. Also I have no idea what a good starting price for one would be, one that has not been reconditioned.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Welcome to the site. The 5ton wreckers are very useful. I'd say under $10k should be an OK price point. My only issue with them is that I always run out of boom length.b

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Welcome to the site. The 5ton wreckers are very useful. I'd say under $10k should be an OK price point. My only issue with them is that I always run out of boom length.b
GET A M819 26' of boom :D

Thanks for the information. I went and looked at one, took it for a drive. Seemed to be in good running order. Everything works as far as I can tell. Looks to have some seal seepage around the drive train. Not surprising for a 1970 model, the guy who owns it says military rigs are known to seep fluid. Also when rotating the crane there is a whining drive noise. The owner said this is also normal, that it was the crane gear mech. Also wondering what a safe size of trailer to tow with it would be. I think it has a ten ton towing capacity. Anybody know of any way to get a little better milage out of these rigs. I was told to try to put in a 16 speed transmission, that the 855 Cummins should have lots of options as it is a widely used engine. Sorry for all the questions, but new to the whole heavy equipment thing. Just a old country boy looking for some useful toys/business tools.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site!

I too am looking to get a wrecker one day. There is a whole host of problems with swapping transmissions, especially with a wrecker, as it has all the aux drives and such. You won't really get any better mileage or speed, as the real holdup is the axle gearing. There are several threads on the subject. Just search under the 5 ton forum for speed or transmission.

I'd say it would be a good rig to get started with, then probably buy a civy rig as your business grows. I'm in the middle of using MV's to start a small business too, but will probably upgrade as soon as I can afford to.

area52

You are not gonna get any better milage out of a 36,000 lbs truck without some serious modifications.

One problem area is the fuel selector valve/lines on the floor beside the drivers seat. They can deteriorate over time and cause an air leak and hard starting. Best to replace all the rubber fuel lines to be safe.

oh yea one more thing..............

nopics

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The M816 is never going to burn up the road....it is heavy to begin with and when you tow anything with it it gets progressively slower.
The gap between the gears is a major PITA especially when up shifitng on a grade....to slow for one gear too fast for the other.
The 250 Cummins engine is obsolete (as far as Cummins is concerned) and getting parts can be a challenge. Finding an old school mechanic to work on it is not easy either.....when I had one the local guy died before he could get around to working on mine.
The guy I sold mine to said he had five grand in the engine by the time he got it running the way he wanted. He had a mechanic on staff that could work on them.
You can transplant a 290 or 400 Cummins into one but you have to make some modifications to do it.
I loved mine but I was glad to see it go for what I had in it.

By the way...I have a buddy that has a cherry one for sale for around 10K. It looks like it just came out of rebuild and runs like a Swiss Watch.