• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M817 Dump Truck Project Begins

augiedoggy

Dozer

Hey there, Glad you found your little fuel line boo boo quickly. I love
the sound of that big ol' Cummins!

As a little tip I use for priming the 5ton fuel system the Mightyvac fluid evacuator tank. Just disconnect the inlet line at pump and connect suction line to fuel line and watch the air bubbles disappear. Then reconnect fuel line quickly so the fuel doesn't go back down. Great after changing fuel filter ect.
It works for any type of fluid and even comes in handy around the house.

Those deuce guys with their fancy in tank pumps don't need this, but maybe
others would like this.

Keep up the good work, and don't forget the pics!

Attachments

dozer1

I gotta say that ( Mightyvac fluid evacuator) looks like a very handy outfit. I have a mighty vac brake bleeder that I have used for all kinds of fluid vaccing for years, but it is small and kind of a pain to use. This one looks to have a big vaccum pump and large capacity too. I'll be getting one of these before long. Any model preference?

augiedoggy

I gotta say that ( Mightyvac fluid evacuator) looks like a very handy outfit. I have a mighty vac brake bleeder that I have used for all kinds of fluid vaccing for years, but it is small and kind of a pain to use. This one looks to have a big vaccum pump and large capacity too. I'll be getting one of these before long. Any model preference?
I prefer the model that is powered by compressed air (MV7300), but i have the hand operated one at home for various plumbing problems ect (MV7400). :cool:

Last edited:

dozer1

Well yesterday I took this rig for its first drive in many years (I would bet 20) and today I lifted the box for the first time and goofed around with that. Going to be a very cool truck upon completion. Sure glad I went with the engine rebuilding instead of scrapping. Since the pics I did a bunch of pressure washing today. Blew off a bunch of paint. I figure the more I get off the cheaper and easier it will be for someone to sandblast later. The pics are ofcourse with box up and one is with the rebuilt NHC 250 Idling smoothly.

Attachments

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, that's already looking good. You going to sandblast the whole thing. Did you decide for sure what color. If you decide to unbolt the cab shield, would take a picture of it like that, I'm thinking about removing it, when I find mine.

dozer1

Man, that's already looking good. You going to sandblast the whole thing. Did you decide for sure what color. If you decide to unbolt the cab shield, would take a picture of it like that, I'm thinking about removing it, when I find mine.

Lots of the body parts will have to come off when the time comes to sandblast. There will be a good amount of blasting on the box, frame, cab tub and other parts that wont be removed. So yes, most of it will need blasting if I want the quality of job that I have in mind. (not show car but pretty decent) Not sure if I will be removing the cab protector but if I do, I will post pic. I can see where that would be a cool look.I personally like the protector, What the box needs is properly shaped sideboards I think. If done right that box would all come together, and really pop.

coolnick73

I didn't see this thread before.

I am glad you got your M817 running. I was wondering what you were going to do when you found out that it had a stuck motor.

On a different note, what is the "cab protector"?

dozer1

Thanks for the questions and reviving the thread for awhile you guys. I havent been working on the truck much since April when we were having problems getting into the field to plant corn. Now its the latter part of June and the corn and beans are coming along pretty well. Hoping to get some time to work on this truck towards the end of July and August. The body work and just all finishing up is planned this winter. I will post any real progress and am always happy to answer any questions I can about the truck. With a little luck maybe this thread will help influence others to build one of these great old trucks. Dean

axlr8

That is alright, Id like a list of what all vehicles you have, I though you only had that a2 in your profile.....GUESS I WAS WRONG! haha :)

grunex125

I think once you are done with that truck you'll have so much sweat equity put into it you'll build an extra room on the side of your house just so that it has a proper roof .........lol I know how it is when doing a restoration, I recently restored a Fox Self propelled forage harvestor. I hope i am not breaking any rules here but the write up is post on another forum. (At this time I would like to ask for permission to post a link.) It was the same sort of thing, the restoration was one of those things, where do ya stop? LOL
that unit is running a 6v71 detroit and man does it scream!