• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M817 for an emergency response vehicle?

BigWill1985

As many of you already know, I have a '71 M817. I've used it for my tree service company, but have most of all just used it as a hobby. I've fought through a lot of challenges with the truck, the worst of which was coming back from deployment to find that my batteries, battery boxes, and battery cables were stolen. I've worked through that issue with much appreciation to the members of this forum, and I'm trying to look forward.

I'm debating on building a sort of emergency response vehicle. I live in a major flood-prone community. We are frequently hit very hard from the hurricanes, and my neighborhood sees 4-6 foot worth of flooding during hurricanes. I've been thinking that I would like to contribute to the community in some way and I think this might be what I can do.

I'd like to build my truck into an emergency response vehicle. I'm thinking that the truck will need to be capable of a few things. First off, it needs to be able to generate electrical power. I have access to an old Lincoln SA200 welder, which is capable of providing plenty of electrical power to a small area. Next, I would need to have a good compressed air system to run air tools that might be needed. The truck's air system can handle most of the loads that might be required, but I also have a 30 gallon Snap-On air compressor that I could mount. Next, I'm trying to think of a water storage system. Maybe a few tanks to hold 150-200 gallons of water, to provide for families in the area. I've also considered some sort of a grill system for providing food, and a pump down rig for dewatering of homes and basements.

All of this would have to be mounted on a modular system, so I could remove it when not needed from the truck. I remember reading on here about a mobile shelter system that was built to fit into a 5-ton bed. Can someone give me more info on this? Where might I find one? I have access to building supplies and some very knowledgeable people, as well. Think we could just build a skid to winch into the bed that might fulfill this job?

Also, what else do you think might be necessary? Any good ideas on how I could accomplish this reasonably? I would really love to give back to my community, and help out other people that might be in need during emergencies. I would love to get some other input.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

~Will Courtier~

ichudov

I would suggest to first discuss this idea with your local designated emergency responders. Their idea of what is and what is not desirable may be different from people with not so much relevant experience.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks