• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M817 Front axle no longer pulls - all of a sudden

ODdave

Not very common, most times it is a valve or cylinder issue, a few times the sprags may get gummed up and stick, just drain the case, put diesel in, run down the road without a load, drain, one or two times ought to clean up things
I have a 5-ton case i traded to a guy for 6 wheels he paid $150 for. Told him i knew nothing about it other than he needs to use his old air valve as mine had rust in it. Friday (a year later) he is complaining that there is no front output and saying he wants $200 or his wheels back. ($200 and he keeps the case or wheels back and i get the case) Wheels are gone alredy so im kind of in a bind......Trying to figure out what is wrong.

Construction

Ron (73m819) - thanks. I also was told today that brake fluid works - same deal - run it for a mile without a load to clean it.

Odd to me that it has happened all of a sudden. I work off road in sand and can normally pull my bull dozer anywhere with multiple tries - but the front axle MUST pull. It left me stranded recently and had to use my dozer to pull me out multiple times to get me back to the pavement.

I have always been able to depend on this truck, until recently.

C

area52

If you shift from reverse to first and don't hear the hiss thunk sound, then the case is probably in neutral which means it will not send power to the front axle. Chris (steelsoldiers on here) has a great thread about taking the air valves off of the transmission and cleaning them. They "tell" the transfer case which way you are going (forward or reverse).

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have a 5-ton case i traded to a guy for 6 wheels he paid $150 for. Told him i knew nothing about it other than he needs to use his old air valve as mine had rust in it. Friday (a year later) he is complaining that there is no front output and saying he wants $200 or his wheels back. ($200 and he keeps the case or wheels back and i get the case) Wheels are gone alredy so im kind of in a bind......Trying to figure out what is wrong.
A YEAR LATER, you got to be kidding, who knows what happened to the case in that time, I can think of a DOZEN things, at the time he got a heck of a deal ($150) for a case, you stated that you knew nothing about it, he agreed, can"t change the rules now
tell him to FORNACATE HIM SELF

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If you shift from reverse to first and don't hear the hiss thunk sound, then the case is probably in neutral which means it will not send power to the front axle. Chris (steelsoldiers on here) has a great thread about taking the air valves off of the transmission and cleaning them. They "tell" the transfer case which way you are going (forward or reverse).
also Floridian ( i think how you spell it) slso has a great thread on this, the rebuild if both the valves and the cylinder

I tried search, (5t sprag and a few others) came up with a zillon sprag and everything under the sun threads, most deuce, so being that SEARCH is not my friend, maybe a search HERO that is a friend with search will step forward

Last edited:

jaxsof

Also, the TC has a slightly different ratio, F/R (higher(lower numerically)to the front), so you dont end up hopping around corners, and it only pulls if there is rear slippage