• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M817 Start Problems - Need Help

Mack90

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just replaced the starter with an new reduction drive unit. The original starter was getting 24volts, but only made a clunck and didn't really turn the motor. The new starter is also getting 24volts, but doing the same thing. Do any of you have an idea on what to look for next? Thank you for the help in advance.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I just replaced the starter with an new reduction drive unit. The original starter was getting 24volts, but only made a clunck and didn't really turn the motor. The new starter is also getting 24volts, but doing the same thing. Do any of you have an idea on what to look for next? Thank you for the help in advance.
Is it stuck in gear? Motor spin freely with a socket and breaker bar?

Put the transfer case in neutral and see what happens

Mack90

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it stuck in gear? Motor spin freely with a socket and breaker bar?

Put the transfer case in neutral and see what happens
the truck only has 120 hours on it. The motor will turn and we almost hadit running pull starting with a tractor. I will try with the transfer case in neutral.

Mack90

Steel Soldiers Supporter
before you installed it, you should have tested it on the floor with a battery and jumper cables to make sure it spins AND the bendix gear slides forward and spins also. even a 12vdc battery will do it at a slower speed.
That would have been a really good idea 🥺

162tcat

Unfortunately no. I have had other projects eating up my time. I am going to give it a go this weekend.
It’ll be a simple wiring issue or bad batteries. If you have a 24v or 2 12v chargers, let it charge and try. If same issue it’s definitely wiring or connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mack90

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the advice. It is turning over strong now and will run with ether. The next step is getting fuel lines primed/ situated.

162tcat

Careful when reinstalling the fuel filter if removed. The bolt at the top that holds the canister in place likes to leak and suck air which will cause all sorts of issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks