• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m818 14 x 20 spare tire mounting?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Searching around I see lots of us have mentioned wanting to mount a 14 x 20 or 16 x 20 spare on our M818s. I've seen a bunch of pics of M818s with large singles mounted and the spare tire carrier still has an 1100x20 in it.

The 800 and 900 series w/super singles have a spare tire rack in the bed with a chain hoist.

i'm thinking about taking the stock spare tire rack on the M818 and expanding it to hold my spare 14 x 20. It will probably block the back window but I don't want to remove the extra tool box. As heavy as these monsters are, I'll need to come up with a chain hoist as well.

anyone come up with something like this yet?

Hammer

Honestly, I have been tempted to take the spare tire off, and put the exhaust stack back there. I LIKE the view from the cab with the stock tire, and think that a 1600 would block all usable view (besides stick out a ways).
Thought about running the spare tire on the trailer. Easier that way, and a LOT closer to the ground.
If I do a bed swap onto the back of the truck, I will mount an electric hmmwv winch behind the cab and use that to run the small hoist. And have the spare tire mount stretched out to fit the 1600.

But until then, I have been lazy and left my stock 11.00 spare in the stock place, for now.

Sephirothq

I put my spare on the decking in front of the 5th wheel. I cheated a bit and used a backhoe.

The 900 series trucks have a chain block setup to lift the tire and wheel up. You could make something similar to the 900 series mount to help lift it.

Jones

This is what I did for the baby HEMTT but the idea is applicable to most MVs with minor tweeking.
A reinforced bracket that bolts to the frame with a hole up through the bed or walkway.
The bed or walkway gets a 3/8" round plate that acts as a bearing surface and also 'finishes off' the hole.
A two piece mast and arm assy. with a Dutton-Lainson DL2500A gear reduction "pulling winch".
Bracket for the headboard of the bed to stow the hoist. When the hoist is stowed the only thing that is left on the bed floor or walkway is the flat round plate.
To use; the mast is dropped into the "socket" to it's "stop collar", arm is inserted into the mast and the hoist cable is attached to the spare. I use a lifting sling but anything sturdy enough to carry the weight of the spare will do.

As far as where to put the spare? That's pretty much personal preference and all ideas will have their positive and negative sides.
Original location and block the view, put the spare in the bed and have to load everything else around it? I guarantee you that a 1400 or a 1600X20 takes up a lot of room whan it's laying flat. Standing up will require reinforcing a spare tire carrier to counteract the flexing a spare that big can generate, just riding along. The HEMTTs, and baby HEMTT, have a brace that runs from the top of the carrier to the opposite frame rail just to counteract this.

This will at least make lifting and lowering more managable... from here on, yer on yer own.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks