• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 24volt to 12volt trailer lights

Hammer

I don't think it is the right plug compared to our military plug, but that would be a VERY easy adapter to make.
But otherwise, YES, jujst costs a small fortune.

There are a number of these things made in Australia though, Redarc is one company. But there are a few other ones that make a 24v to 12v setup specifically for a 24v vehicle to tow a 12v trailer.

4trans

I don't think it is the right plug compared to our military plug, but that would be a VERY easy adapter to make.
But otherwise, YES, jujst costs a small fortune.

There are a number of these things made in Australia though, Redarc is one company. But there are a few other ones that make a 24v to 12v setup specifically for a 24v vehicle to tow a 12v trailer.
Thank you! im looking at prices and it looks like itthe way stated on this thread would be better (way cheaper) to do it then that adapter

Last edited:

4trans

REDARC series of Trailer Lighting Reducers would work but i had trouble finding prices but i found a price im pretty sure are for these and they were $100US which is better even if they are a little more it wouldnt be bad compared to the first one. Thank you guys again and sorry if im a little slow im new to MVs and the 24volt system.:-D

4trans

Where did you find it for around $100?
not that one but im in contact with capital instruments and redarc vrc the 5 circuit 80a 24v-12v is $340 but i think you can use i lower amp version and i asked him what size would be ok for a std fifth wheel trailer like Jd ford hd is pulling but it will take awhile to get a response because of the time difference (14hrs)! 100 is what someone said they paid but im not sure if it was the right item. But 380 for a 80 amp version is better then 700

here is capital instruments page for redarc the model is either VRM, VRl, VRS, VRAA, VRA(Rev), VRB(Rev), or VRC Im just not sure what model is suitable for the electrical requirements we have.

Last edited:

Hammer

Yeah, If you were going to use it all the time, having a nice commercial grade type unit would probably be worth spending a decent amount on.
80 amps though, that would do braking as well? I know a lot of the units they make are geared towards stepping down the voltage for brakes.
Of course 80 amps would be nice for charging trailer batteries though, or running flood lights, etc.

4trans

it is a 5 Circuit voltage reducer it probably would you would need something to control the electric brakes IE a brake controller if the 818 doesn't have a circuit for trailer brakes in the military style connector and that would be no big deal to wire in; you just need 12 volt in (from the reducer) and then the from the brake controller a wire in to a civi plug capable of powering electric brakes. you can ask jd ford hd if his plug for towing pintle trailers is capable of powering electric brakes.

Hammer

I have 12v on my 818 as well as 24v, so I don't need to worry about the 12v power source. I think I would rather have a simple relay setup, so my only power limits would be the relays themselves.
But for everyone else, if you could get one for around $100, that would be a very simple setup!

4trans

BTW some 915 have civi electric hookup also any help available on how many amps a trailer will draw like the ones jd ford hd hauls and i hope to have a better answer on price tonight but they aren't in their office yet

Last edited:

Hammer

That was my plan, just some simple relays for lights, powered from my 12v batteries.
But for $100, if you can get something that could be moved from vehicle to vehicle for towing different trailers (for those of us that have a number of MVs and trailers), it wouldn't be a bad investment.

jwaller

jwaller you are torturing 4trans!:-D

"This is all you need" "I have no clue where to find one" :roll:

ya I know. I was just lucky enough to buy the truck it was attached to. It's too bad bc I'd like another myself for my other tractor. the nsn is readable and I'll post it later today.

4trans

ya I know. I was just lucky enough to buy the truck it was attached to. It's too bad bc I'd like another myself for my other tractor. the nsn is readable and I'll post it later today.
is it any a 915 or 818 cause ive seen 915s advertised with civi and military hookups.

also does any one have an idea of how many amps total for the lighting (Stop,tail, turn,markers) that a trailer similar to jd fords uses? im thinking capital instruments might not know and then he wont know what models price to email me cause they don't post their prices

Last edited:

4trans

That was my plan, just some simple relays for lights, powered from my 12v batteries.
But for $100, if you can get something that could be moved from vehicle to vehicle for towing different trailers (for those of us that have a number of MVs and trailers), it wouldn't be a bad investment.
So with the relays the 24volt power to the lights would open up the relay to allow 12volt to flow to the trailer lights if i understand correctly that's a good idea

steelandcanvas

is it any a 915 or 818 cause ive seen 915s advertised with civi and military hookups.

also does any one have an idea of how many amps total for the lighting (Stop,tail, turn,markers) that a trailer similar to jd fords uses? im thinking capital instruments might not know and then he wont know what models price to email me cause they don't post their prices
You could put a meter (DC Amps) on each circuit and check. Add the amperages up to find your total. Or get the bulb numbers and find what they draw in current and add them up.:idea: BTW, great thread, I've been looking for something like this.

4trans

You could put a meter (DC Amps) on each circuit and check. Add the amperages up to find your total. Or get the bulb numbers and find what they draw in current and add them up.:idea:

i wish i had a trailer/truck to test or knew the bulb numbers it doesnt have to be 100% spot on just a rough idea:-D

Hammer

So with the relays the 24volt power to the lights would open up the relay to allow 12volt to flow to the trailer lights if i understand correctly that's a good idea
Exactly. It is a very simple and easy setup.
Problem is, I can only use this setup on this truck, it's the only one I have 12v on. For now anyways.

4trans

ok i think i got the numbers close i got 2.1 amps for each s/t/t x 4(two on either side)=8.4amps and markers came to 2.1 amps for each x 9 (three on either side of trailer and three across the back in between the S/t/ts)=18.9 8.4+18.9=27.3 and then rounded up to about 30 amps so they 80 amp version is a little over kill.

steelandcanvas

Just using a WAG, I think you are in the ballpark. The 80A version is definetly over kill. I would like to do the same thing, however, I would like a constant 12 Volts to keep my trailer batteries charged also while traveling.:idea: