• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 batteries

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Group 31 from Oreillys Part # 31-5 use 2 of them or You can use 4 of the 24Fs from walmart @ $50 each that are smaller. Or You can use 2 big ole 8D's that are around $160 each from Batteries plus for Duracells.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I uses two 8Ds in my m819, new blems that cost $80 each the last time I replaced the set, that was three or four years ago.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
With the two 585cca how does it start? Not too slow?
Those are just throw ins for a wrecker i am working on to operate. It only runs the fuel solenoid for power. Nothing else. No lights or anything else. just around the yard. I would suggest 4 of them or two group 31s or two 8Ds for anything needing to go on the road. if you had a starting issue those two 24s i don't think will spin it over long. especially without a gear reduction starter.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the gear reduction starter in my 813 two Group 31s spin it like a top at freezing and I'm sure it would work great at lower temps I'm just not going out to try. ;-)

74M35A2

I have one more of those gear reduction starters left if anybody is Jonesing for one... Can package deal with a 24v 100A brushless 33Si alternator if you really want to update your ride to modern spec.

sandcobra164

Good batteries are important. I'm sure 74M35A2 can explain better than I can. I had a set of old group 31's in my truck that were probably well past their get rid of date. On a warm day they would start the M923 as long as it started on the 6th or 8th rotation of the engine. Worst day I had was when the truck failed to start on the 10th rotation of the engine. Somehow the starter stayed engaged after I turned both switches on the dash off. Next thing I know, the passenger seat was smoking. I quickly disconnected the negative cable and heard the starter solenoid clunk indicating it disengaged. Cleaned connections, installed new Exide 6TAGM 1550 CCA batteries and no more issues. Truck starts much easier and can even handle extended cranking when changing the fuel filter. I've never understood why weak batteries would cause wires or connections to smoke. In my mind if they are too weak to turn the starter over, they are too weak to cause damage. I'll turn it over to the experts to chime in. I guess if you have strong batteries, they have enough current to "bridge the gap" of a weak connection.

74M35A2

The load of the starter is fixed. Example, 7.0kW (actual number for 24v modern gear reduction). So, at 24v, this would be 292 amps (7000/24), well below what a battery can deliver, rightfully so. As the battery is discharging during cranking, the voltage is dropping, but the load stays the same, so the current draw increases. Let’s say the cranking voltage drops down to 15v quickly because the batteries are old/weak, for the fixed 7.0kW starter load, you are now pushing 467 amps (7000/15). So as voltage drops, current increases, to the limit of the battery. Volts x amps = watts. Weak connections are exposed as the current is nearly doubling, etc...

Fresh batteries (less than 5 years old) which hold a high level of cranking voltage will keep the current draw down.

Seperately, the faster a starter can spin, the cooler it will run, and longer it will last, because less time is spent heating each commutator segment as the brushes pass on the armature.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Cummins dealers actually sell their 8Ds for $180 exchange. Which isnt too bad.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks