• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 battery drain

OldGoat

I have a battery drain on a M818. It will go dead in one day. You can tell something is on when you connect the battery cable - it will spark. The alternator shows it charging nicely and even at a slow idle it never gets into the yellow or red on gauge. The truck runs out nicely other than that. I guess the easy fix would be a battery disconnect, but it would be nice to track it down. Any ideas where to look?

tommygun

Check your light switch to make sure its not on black out marker/drive . They are hard to see when on in daylight , and will run battery down fairly quickly. Just a starting place checking.

Monty

When I got my 818 home I went to hook up some batterys since three of the 6tls were dead and had a good spark jump of the positive when i touched it with the cable.
I went through the truck and I some how missed the glow plug switch was left on, I turned it off and hooked up the battery with no other issues.
I would go through everthing again to make sure you didn't miss something simple then hook up a multimeter to the batterys and start disconecting things until the volatge drop stops.
I would also second the dissconnect.

How old are the batterys? Maybe take the out and check the cells to make sure the plates are covered.
You can also indivdually charge them at 12vdc then when one is charged move on to the next and place your meter on the freshly charged one and see if it will maintain a charge.

G-Force

Disconnect the positive battery terminal and put a test light in between the terminal and the cable. Start disconnecting + wires until the light goes out. i'd start with the alternator. I'll bet you have a bad diode......

Armada

I have the same prob with a deuce. New batts, alternator, disconnected switches, breakers, whatever else I could think of, etc., still a drain, measures around 4 milli amps. Not much, but it's there. Could it be in the starter/solenoid?

turnerman

disconnect the alternator and recheck for amp draw. don't know why but i have had some that charge fine but when truck is off draw power. go figure? so i just put a quick disconnect on them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks