• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m818 brake issues

emr

I dont have my 813 anymore so I have a 5 ton air pack new for sale 175 if interested, and a set of wheel seals too, inner and outers, good luck :)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you read carefully, he has not removed the drum yet!

dezert ratt

Im guessing its all the components going into failure. Sticking wheel cylinder, and malfunctioning adjusters. Possibly from being too tight, and overheating everything. Ill know more when i have the right tools to get the hub apart. The brakes dragging has caused the tire to start wearing funny (cupping). I will post pics when i tear it down.

dezert ratt

Ive got my eye on a complete 5 ton front axle. It would be nice to pick it up for spare parts if I can get the cash together. My spindle nut sockets will be in tomoro. Just need the weather to.clear up. I cant wait!

m816

If you have worn out brakes on one axel, It is time to pull off all the wheels and pack all the berings and replace the seals and really check all the brake shoes and don't forget to inspect all the lines and especially the flex hoses for dry rot. I haven't had a five ton yet that didn't need a complete brake job. They seem to have been run harder, longer than the deuces. All the work is definitely worth it

dezert ratt

If a truck gets scrapped im not one to go buy new parts when there are perfectly good ones layin around. There are some exceptions with consumable parts. In my case, I needed the backing plate and adjustment hardware (not a consumable like linings, and wheel seals). And if any fellow so cal guys need front 5 ton axle parts, just let me know. I know some of this stuff is harder to find in the wild west out here. Gotta stock up when the oppurtunity presents itself.

dezert ratt

Ive been so busy with work, that i havent had any time to wrench on the truck. Heres a pic of the start of my (soldier B) a helpful tool for removing the hubs on the truck without damage to the seals and snouts. I sacrificed a perfectly good spare 5 ton rim. I will be making a adapter to bolt the cut up wheel center to my transmission jack. Hopefully it will work how i plan :confused:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks