• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 clutch inop, question

Hooper50

Picking up a M818 next week, I know that the brake pedal and clutch are limp and the clutch does not engage. I believe the M818 uses air over hydraulic like the M35. Does the M818 clutch use the same Dot 4 reservoir as the brakes? Kinda counting on just bleeding the system and driving off into the sunset. One solution I considered was reading through the TM. Looking more for opinions on possible issues I am not aware of.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suggest you go through the manuals for the M809 series trucks.

In particular the -10 manual for operation. The M809 does not use fluid for the clutch. If either the clutch or brake are soft and going to the floor I suggest towing the truck or having it hauled on a trailer.

Where is the truck? May have a member close by.

Clutch diagram

809-clutch.PNG

Hooper50

I suggest you go through the manuals for the M809 series trucks.

In particular the -10 manual for operation. The M809 does not use fluid for the clutch. If either the clutch or brake are soft and going to the floor I suggest towing the truck or having it hauled on a trailer.

Where is the truck? May have a member close by.

Clutch diagram

View attachment 910471
Portland MI

Hooper50

Picking up a M818 next week, I know that the brake pedal and clutch are limp and the clutch does not engage. I believe the M818 uses air over hydraulic like the M35. Does the M818 clutch use the same Dot 4 reservoir as the brakes? Kinda counting on just bleeding the system and driving off into the sunset. One solution I considered was reading through the TM. Looking more for opinions on possible issues I am not aware of.
Update. The brake master cylinder was bone dry. Also, the transfer case lever must have been bumped out of gear, no clutch issues. Drove the truck 40 miles with no issues.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update. The brake master cylinder was bone dry. Also, the transfer case lever must have been bumped out of gear, no clutch issues. Drove the truck 40 miles with no issues.
Good news.

I'd swear that bumping the transfer lever can't ever happen. (More than once per day anyhow) ;-)

In all reality I kept all my trucks in my barn with the t-case in neutral along with transmission.

Now build or buy a power bleeder and go through the system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks