• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 + Deuce Bed = Best Methods?

Makincold

So, I found a deuce bed and I'm ready to remove the 5-th wheel from the M818 (and read the cold rivet thread too...) I'm removing the spare tire and tool box and going with the full 12" deuce bed
Now once I have a clean frame and a deuce bed sitting on it what is the best way to attach it?

I am familiar with the way the deuce bed attached to frame of the deuce with angle iron on both the frame and bed. Is this the best method? How will it be drilling holes in the right place to match what is already on the bed?

Am I better to put brackets on the M818 frame where there are existing holes and put NEW bracket on the bed (which might be easier to weld/drill on) ?

The deuce has a wood strip between the frame and bed, do I keep this set up?

Any other advice? I'm sure there are a MILLION and one things I'll be back on here asking about, but lets start here!

Thanks

DUECE-COUPE

it would be best to bolt brackets to the frame on the truck and weld brackets to the frame on the bed. Also keep in mind that the transfer case sets up above the frame of the truck and you may need to replace the existing wood spacers with 2x4 pressure treated to give you the clearance you need for the bed, and yes you need toe wood. it is there to provide a flat surface fr the bed to ride on. i cut mine to fit the length, and then lay then on the frame and give em a tap over the rivets to dimple the wood. after that go get your self a wood bit about an inch in diameter and hit each dimple for about 3/4 on and inch. this should give you the recess you need to make the wood lay flat on the frame.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I just finished putting a M109 box on a M818. The van body and the cargo body attach to the frame the same as a cargo body does. You need to keep the wood "sill" as its main function is to allow for movement between the frame and the cargo body. Being able to flex is a big deal when attaching anything to a truck frame. There are no rivets on the top of the frame on a M818 (at least on my 1971 there were none). I used the angle iron that came on the M818 frame and drilled two holes in each side. I added the angle iron mounts for the front attachment point to the side of the frame. If you do not add on to the rear of the M818 frame you will come up a little short on frame length. So I took the last few inches of a deuce frame and welded it to the back of the M818 frame. I know welding on frames is not a good thing but the weld is beyond the main weight bearing points for the rear axle etc so it should not matter I would think. Then I could use the rear attachment point already attached to the deuce frame for the rear mounting. The frame on a deuce is only a 8 inch frame and the M818 is a 9 inch frame. Worked out nicely as I could use the rear mounting to hold the deuce frame while I welded the frames. As I mentioned attaching a cargo box should be the same as attaching a van box. It worked for me.

Attachments

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I am going to put a deuce dropside bed on my M915 but my plan is to leave the 5th wheel and make the bed easily installed/detached.

You never know when you are going to need the trailer pulling capability of a tractor.

Once the 5th wheel is off your options are limited to pullling a tag trailer or a trailer with a lunette ring on it.

Just my input for what it's worth.

Makincold

I just finished putting a M109 box on a M818. The van body and the cargo body attach to the frame the same as a cargo body does. You need to keep the wood "sill" as its main function is to allow for movement between the frame and the cargo body. Being able to flex is a big deal when attaching anything to a truck frame. There are no rivets on the top of the frame on a M818 (at least on my 1971 there were none). I used the angle iron that came on the M818 frame and drilled two holes in each side. I added the angle iron mounts for the front attachment point to the side of the frame. If you do not add on to the rear of the M818 frame you will come up a little short on frame length. So I took the last few inches of a deuce frame and welded it to the back of the M818 frame. I know welding on frames is not a good thing but the weld is beyond the main weight bearing points for the rear axle etc so it should not matter I would think. Then I could use the rear attachment point already attached to the deuce frame for the rear mounting. The frame on a deuce is only a 8 inch frame and the M818 is a 9 inch frame. Worked out nicely as I could use the rear mounting to hold the deuce frame while I welded the frames. As I mentioned attaching a cargo box should be the same as attaching a van box. It worked for me.
So what happens if I dont add the frame length? is 10' of frame not enough to support the bed or is it a "looks" thing? Just somewhere to attach the bumperetts?

Sounds like the bolt up is easier than I thought
After i posted this early this morning I went and looked at the truck and noticed no rivets to remove

Makincold

I am going to put a deuce dropside bed on my M915 but my plan is to leave the 5th wheel and make the bed easily installed/detached.

You never know when you are going to need the trailer pulling capability of a tractor.

Once the 5th wheel is off your options are limited to pullling a tag trailer or a trailer with a lunette ring on it.

Just my input for what it's worth.
Maybe I'll just get a 915! :beer:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
If you do not add to the M818 frame I would add two rear attachment points to the box and frame towards the rear of the frame. But you need to think through how you will attach a pintle hitch. If you want to be able to pull a trailer the existing M818 pintle will be sort of to far forward I would think.

I think the frame length on the M818 would be long enough to support a deuce cargo box at its present length. Now were you to want to make the deuce box a dumper the shorter frame length might turn out to be a plus. Clinto has a deuce dumper and he can chime in here on what he thinks of the shorter frame for a dumper. He is the deuce dumper expert.

When adding a van body to my M818 I did not take the pintle and lights off of the M818 until I got the van added and the frame extension welded on. Big mistake. It turned out to be a real pain getting them off after I added the box. As I was not sure if I would add the extension. So were I you I would think that out before adding the cargo box and frame extension.

quickfarms

You should think about adding a king pin and skidplate to the bed so that it could attach to the fifth wheel, you would also nee to add a coupl of additional attachment points to the bed. this way you would still hve the tractor if you needed it.

Makincold

I'm pretty set on just a bed and no 5th wheel. I'm sure I can haul anything I'll ever haul either in the bed or on my M105 or maybe in the future a tandem axel trailer with a lunette.
With this discussion I may be cutting down the deuce bed, not sure I want to be adding to the frame, seems adding to the frame will limit the weight I can haul on the pintle.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
[ I may be cutting down the deuce bed, not sure I want to be adding to the frame, seems adding to the frame will limit the weight I can haul on the pintle.[/QUOTE]

If you add to the frame using a deuce frame/pintle section then I would think you can haul pretty much what a deuce can haul. And if you use a frame/pintle section from a 5 ton I would figure you could haul about the same as any of the 5 tons. The 5 ton pintle is a monster compared to the deuce pintle......you are right on that for sure. I guess it all depends on doing a correct job on just how you attach the extension.

ranchhopper

I just put a deuce bed on an 818 used the bed without cutting it down I added a set of deuce bumperettes they add 11 inches and there is plenty of room to hang a set of mud flaps behind the rear tires.

Makincold

No pics yet, the new tires was the first upgrade
The 5th wheel is unbolted and ready to come off, it will come off atbthe Ga rally to a lucky custom who wants a 5th wheel or it will join wreckerman's trailer to China!

After that it's a toss up on the M66 ring mount install or the deuce bed install

Like cessnatwin setup and will likely go that route, but hey, life is fluid and so are the truck plans

tbci

If you are going to pull a trailer I would recommend either extending the frame or cutting the bed down. M818 has a full 12' bed on it; and if I don't swing extremely wide my 989a1 trailer will hit the bed when turning. I'm planning on using the winch frame extensions from a parts truck. Will move rear crossmember and hitch back about 15 inches.

indy4x4fab

Banned
I have been thinking of getting an m814 cutting the bed down so my short wheel base m820 box up next to the cab and have a small bed behind it that doubles as a deck for the wife to sit and read (like she asked for) then use the front secition of the cut bed for my 818 bed build, and in stead of making a swing down tail gate make a barn door swing open tail gate, like a dump trailer. Been thinking about it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks