• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 - Flaps and Batts!!

TheBuggyman

All,
I am really bored today so I took some pics of the new batteries and completed mud flap install on the 818. The 6TL's were on trickle for five days and only one would pass the load test so out they went. Looked locally for some to fit in place of the 10"x10-1/2"X9" high TL's. I found my batteries at AutoZone, the salesman talked me into the yellow tops because of the better warranty- three years total replacement and eight years prorated. Well, then I told him I needed four and asked for a discount if I bought that many so he said, "are you in the military?" I told him not any more, he looked at me for a second and said "good enough for me, how about 10%?" Told him that'll do, and out I went to put in the batts. As a side note- the new batts were about an inch shorter so I used new top stud terminals and put green tape on all of the negative connections and red on the positives.

Attachments

Steamynachos

Good looking set up just a word of caution I also used those marine battery terminals on my M813A1 they worked about twice then one day when starting my truck on a cold morning I had to crank her a little more than usual and she just died on me :?: I opened the tray to discover the marine terminals melted to little globs of lead and the cables fell off with globs of lead stuck to the ends of them :lol: you might not have this problem but I switched to the heavy military style terminals and never had a problem since.

alphadeltaromeo

Buggy...your tractor is looking great! I like the location of the license plate and the XL's just look dandy I'd say. Good work!

Steamy...where would I find those? Suggestions?

Andy

TheBuggyman

Steamynachos said:
Good looking set up just a word of caution I also used those marine battery terminals on my M813A1 they worked about twice then one day when starting my truck on a cold morning I had to crank her a little more than usual and she just died on me :?: I opened the tray to discover the marine terminals melted to little globs of lead and the cables fell off with globs of lead stuck to the ends of them :lol: you might not have this problem but I switched to the heavy military style terminals and never had a problem since.
I believe that is well warranted advice. We used the side terminals off of an Optima battery once for a Jeep's electric winch. Once. They melted.

I'll keep an eye on them, warm weather is coming so I should not be cranking on the truck for long periods of time. If they melt I'll let everyone know!

Cdub

TheBuggyman said:
Steamynachos said:
I believe that is well warranted advice. We used the side terminals off of an Optima battery once for a Jeep's electric winch. Once. They melted.

I'll keep an eye on them, warm weather is coming so I should not be cranking on the truck for long periods of time. If they melt I'll let everyone know!
Great job on the batteries and mud flaps........I'm sure it kept you busy doing what we all enjoy doing.....Like working on our Green Toys....

I was just wondering why you would have changed the terminals and not used the orginal ones that came with the truck from the military....??

seya,

C'dub

emr

I have to say one of those marine terminals smoked BIG time on one of my trucks , once had a stall in a frantic situation, loaded the cranking to get her going and melted the marine terminal hot lead towards the truck into a molten puddle man it was smokey and scarry!!!. Get the Mil spec ones for sure....Randy

TheBuggyman

Cdub said:
TheBuggyman said:
Steamynachos said:

Great job on the batteries and mud flaps........I'm sure it kept you busy doing what we all enjoy doing.....Like working on our Green Toys....

I was just wondering why you would have changed the terminals and not used the orginal ones that came with the truck from the military....??

seya,

C'dub
The originals were toast, every last one of them! These were cheap and I put my hands on them right away. One thing that helps is the ether start, no long cranking cycles.

Changing the terminals is up to you . i wouldnt risk wrecking the batteries with the melting lead dropping on the top of them. I have learned this the hard way years ago. I would hate to see you ruin your brandy new ones. that would stink! Car Quest carries the mil spec Battery terminals. both the pos and neg ones.

halftrack

My local Interstate battery store sells the mil spec terminals for $2.50 a piece. Napa wanted $14.00 per piece. Do not use the Marine terminals. They look good and handy ot use, but as stated, if one is loose it will melt the terminal and destroy you nice new battery. It happened to me twice.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I use (just replaced them actually) 31 series (barely fit in the box) civvy batteries that just have the threaded posts. All I did was wire brush al the connectors and tightened them down. does this sound OK? I thought about using some of the copper anti seize, but didn't have any that day. Do you guys think it would be worth it to disconnect and slater some on?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks