• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 Front winch level wind

wbv

Hello,

Just joined this forum and have just purchased a M818 with front winch. Can someone tell me where to locate a level wind device for this winch?

Thanks........

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
memphis might be the only place that might have that as it really only can on wreckers. sam winer might also

wbv

Thanks timntrucks.......didn't know this was only on the wreckers. Still looks like it would be pretty useful.

Also considering a 45K drag winch to fit behind the cab of the 818...... any suggested places to look for that?

joec

Click on the link for Dave at Eastern He has a couple of hydraulic units for sale complete.

Link is on bottom of here where it says wrecker on the way in july...lol....next weekend i pick it up..!!!!

he should have a level wind also .

wbv

Thanks for the help..........

I have a land clearing business that I bought this truck for. Mainly for recovery of my tree mulching tractor in case it bogs down too far away from an anchor like a big tree (this happens more than I like). There is a winch on the tractor but sometimes there is nothing to pull against... The M818 should make a pretty good mobile anchor....

jwaller

looking for something like this?

in the 809 series of trucks the wreckers( 816 and 819) were the only ones that were supposed to have the level wind.

I find the very useful and I'm very glad I put it on mine. the only thing is it makes it a little more difficult to pay out the cable quickly.

I like your thinking but I doubt the truck will be much of an anchor with some more weight to it.

Or you could add the spades to the front like the wreckers have an then without the weight you'd have a very good anchor.

be ready to spend some bucks. you not only need the level wind but the tensioner too. you cant have 1 without the other. I have a few tensioner shims if you need them to set it up properly.

Attachments

wbv

Located in South Central AL, 15 mi below Tuskegee.

Thanks for the input......... It's interesting (especially to my wife) that I got this truck and hope I NEVER have to use it for it's primary job. Major hastle to get our of bogs - not to mention cost in time. Usually, it's a distance thing with the recovery issue. Not close enough to a tree. I've had to use a 650 JD to pull against on a couple of occasions. The ground here can LOOK dry and you can even drive over it ONCE with no problem - the second pass and ........ sunk to the frame. Tractor has 10 ton winch on rear so combination of tractor winch + 818 winch + tree is what I have in mind to extend the reach.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i need the tensioner part i quess ill have to start looking at suppiers as dont know of any members that have one that is willing to part with it

groundog

8) I put a level wind on the front of my M-813A1---I like the looks---most dealers do not want to seperate the level wind off of a wrecker winch

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks