• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 Generator/alternator question

WildWiley

Hi all - I have scoured the internet and this site and extinguished all available resources to find an answer to this question….will the 5 ton run for a substantial time period with no alternator installed?
The reason I ask is, I found a 818 that I would like to drive home (approx 20 miles). It runs and drives fine, batteries are relatively new and I have heard it run. It also has all the bulbs blown from an over voltage condition which is why the alt was removed. I know most everything else is mechanical and it will not require much juice from the batteries other than if it stalls and needs restarted. Any thoughts or discussions on this?

Thanks,
Shawn

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi all - I have scoured the internet and this site and extinguished all available resources to find an answer to this question….will the 5 ton run for a substantial time period with no alternator installed?
The reason I ask is, I found a 818 that I would like to drive home (approx 20 miles). It runs and drives fine, batteries are relatively new and I have heard it run. It also has all the bulbs blown from an over voltage condition which is why the alt was removed. I know most everything else is mechanical and it will not require much juice from the batteries other than if it stalls and needs restarted. Any thoughts or discussions on this?

Thanks,
Shawn
You should be good to go once you get it cranked. That Cummins doesn't have any electronics in it, so the motor is good to go. It should have a manual transmission, so there isn't an Allison involved. Brake Lights are about your only concern - and if you have a chase vehicle - that can be no worries either... Especially for 20 miles.

Make sure that your water pump belt is doing its thing...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks