• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 GVWR

ida34

The above also explains why it is so hard for a layman to figure this stuff out. Fifty or so lines of text and the one you are looking for is only one sentence. Try to find this stuff if you are not familiar with it.

Armada

Thanks Chuck for putting that in print and pointing out the ONE LINE we would need to know. You saved me hours of searching! My brain would have wandered off after 1/4 of the way through it. Luckily, the M818 falls under the 26K lb limit, but then again, the weight doesn't matter if not being used for commerce, only personnal use.
So, do all LEO's have this info committed to memory? Or do you guys carry a big book with all of the rules and regs? Like you say, it may be a good idea to carry my own copy for the guy that wasn't very familiar with it and be able to point out what section I would fall under.

still dont see where the 150 mile rule plays out for the truck. i was refering to the plating of the vehicle. i am not law but i think the 150 mile rule is only for the driver who carries a F endorsment instead of a real CDL. earlier i posted why not plate the truck FARM/LOG. this is less restrictive than the historical and cost way less tha a declared wt plate. i admitt alot of this i overlook as ive held a commercial license sice old enough to aquire one.

ida34

If you are driving a farm tag vehicle it is a given that you are engaged in a business as a farm and the truck is used for that. You can drive on a regular drive's license only 150 miles from your farm. Any more than that and you will be expected to have a CDL since you are engaged in commerce. More to follow on that. I have to leave the house.

Thanks Chuck for taking the time to help on this subject. I know it is a big help to more folks than what are speaking up here. It's nice to get it from an authority on the subject. One more thing. the Farm plate around here comes as Farm/log. does this have the same mile limit?

ida34

They are the same Dave. A pickup with a farm or log farm tag would is fine without a CDL. Even a deuce with a farm tag would be fine more than 150 miles from home but the once you cross 26001 lbs you must have a CDL if farther then 150 miles from home. Also if you are closer than 150 miles from home with a vehicle over the 26001 lbs gross limit then you must have an F endorsement to your regular class D license.

In other words, if Paul did get a farm tag or log farm tag he would need an F endorsement to drive the five ton on the road.

To answer Lane's question. I take out a book copy of traffic code with me when I work the road. I am on a bicycle now so I don't have the room. I do have an office downtown and keep my laptop there with the PDF copy. Most cops do not know all the traffic laws but they know most of them. I asked around and got mixed answers as to private use of big trucks. Most of us if we have a question we would call a motor enforcement officer. The big thing is I know of no officer that will stop or write a ticket on something he does not know for sure. If in doubt we will not stop the violation and look it up later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks