• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 Hood Latches

wheezer

Shipped a 72 M818 and the hood flew open while with the motor carrier. They said the side latches were attached during shipment but when the center latch snapped off, the wind must of jiggled it out of the exterior side latches. I can understand that if they were humming along at 65 however since the center latch is snapped off (and all there is a a post coming down from the hood), I cant figure out how it even latches to the grill. ****, I understand that some of them dont even have the center latch? Any thoughts on this would help. Part of buying something sight unseen I guess.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somebody didn't secure their load. I,ve hauled a lot of stuff! That is part of securing the load. The driver is responsible!. It the latches were defective, he should have put a strap across it, period.! For instance, if the hood flew off and killed somebody, the driver is responsible. Charge him for the damage. If the latches were latched, they would not come off. No way!. Somebody was looking under the hood, and didn't latch it - still the clear responsibility of the driver. Latches, or no latches.

Is the hood ruined? Did it do other damage. you pay with a credit card - cancel payment, till you figure damages!.

Sorry for the rant, but my opinion is well formed on this sport of thing!

Lee in Alaska

KsM715

:ditto:The center latch does not hold the hood shut, the side latches secure it and the center latch is a secondary catch.

I have found out if you leave the vehicle parked anywhere for a length of time someone is going to look under the hood when the realize how easy it is to open, and they always forget to latch it when they close it.

jwaller

driver error. center latch does not hold it shut, side latches do that. they are hoping you don't know what your doing but be informed and don't let them walk over you.

M1075

Yes, a lot of trucks from GL have the hood latches undone due to pictures and previews. It sure sounds like a baloney story to me. Bottom line is carrier is responsible.

Oasis-3

As a car hauler IF a car gets damaged in any way shape or form on my truck I have to PAY for it.
The trucking company should have to pay for a hood and the time to put it on.
They should have cargo ins.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
:ditto: Almost did the same thing today picking up my new Duce from GL, got it all chained down and was ready to roll. Got back up on the trailer to make sure windows were closed and saw both latches hanging down.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems to me, if the side latches were secured, and failed, either the hood catch would have pulled out, or the latch would have broke. If both are intact, the driver screwed up. When contracting a hauler, you should always have them fax you a copy of their insurance certificate. That way, if a problem arises, you have the necessary info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks