• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 Info

dodge350c

I've always wanted to get an M818 But i didn't know if you need a CDL to drive then cause my buddy doesnt in his Duce. Thanks

bassetdeuce

It depends on your state. In Florida, with no trailer and a registration GVWR under 26000lb, you don't need a CDL. In Maine, antique tags exempt you from the weight limits on a Class C license (recreational use only, no business), so no need for a CDL. You have to look up your state statutes. Of course, if you are hauling and you are out of your home state, I would get a CDL just to be safe and legal. The M818 is a cool truck though. We like ours. 2cents

Last edited:

emr

Holy smokes, no disrespect intended, but there must be 10 bizzilion threads on this for every state and even coountry by now....just sayin. ...:deadhorse:...thanks though first time I got to use the horsey....:lol:

bassetdeuce

Holy smokes, no disrespect intended, but there must be 10 bizzilion threads on this for every state and even coountry by now....just sayin. ...:deadhorse:...thanks though first time I got to use the horsey....:lol:
Yeah, I know, but these threads are good for bumping my post count so I can be a "4 Star General" too . :mrgreen:

bassetdeuce

Where did you get your info on Maine?
Not to be harsh, but does anyone ever read? As I said before, look up the statutes.

Maine Revised Statutes Title 29A, Chapter 11, Section 1252

A Class C license authorizes:

(6) A person to operate a truck registered as an antique automobile, regardless of weight or combination weight, provided the vehicle is used for noncommercial recreational purposes or purposes pursuant to section 101, subsection 3. [2007, c. 383, §20 (AMD).]

Maine Revised Statutes Title 29A, Chapter 19, Section 2090

Antique vehicles (REALLOCATED FROM TITLE 29-A, SECTION 2089)
A vehicle registered as an antique vehicle pursuant to section 457 may pull a trailer or semitrailer as long as the vehicle is used for noncommercial recreational purposes or for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. [RR 2003, c. 1, §30 (RAL).]

SECTION HISTORY RR 2003, c. 1, §20 (RAL).

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The toughest aspect of getting a CDL (I am speaking of Alabama) is having a truck to road test in. That is why a lot of folks have to go to a truck driving school (CDL mill) and spend big bucks.

If you have a licensed and insured tractor trailer (that will pass a DOT inspection) you can road test.

You can get the study guide at your local DMV.

A CDL cost more than a regular license. You may also need a DOT physical and maybe a drug test......most family doctors have the paperwork and can do them.

Milage may vary in your home state.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The toughest aspect of getting a CDL (I am speaking of Alabama) is having a truck to road test in. That is why a lot of folks have to go to a truck driving school (CDL mill) and spend big bucks.

If you have a licensed and insured tractor trailer (that will pass a DOT inspection) you can road test.

You can get the study guide at your local DMV.

A CDL cost more than a regular license. You may also need a DOT physical and maybe a drug test......most family doctors have the paperwork and can do them.

Milage may vary in your home state.
You forgot one thing you need a friend with cdl to get the truck to the testing area.:driver::lost: