• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 Info

dodge350c

I've always wanted to get an M818 But i didn't know if you need a CDL to drive then cause my buddy doesnt in his Duce. Thanks

bassetdeuce

It depends on your state. In Florida, with no trailer and a registration GVWR under 26000lb, you don't need a CDL. In Maine, antique tags exempt you from the weight limits on a Class C license (recreational use only, no business), so no need for a CDL. You have to look up your state statutes. Of course, if you are hauling and you are out of your home state, I would get a CDL just to be safe and legal. The M818 is a cool truck though. We like ours. 2cents

Last edited:

emr

Holy smokes, no disrespect intended, but there must be 10 bizzilion threads on this for every state and even coountry by now....just sayin. ...:deadhorse:...thanks though first time I got to use the horsey....:lol:

bassetdeuce

Holy smokes, no disrespect intended, but there must be 10 bizzilion threads on this for every state and even coountry by now....just sayin. ...:deadhorse:...thanks though first time I got to use the horsey....:lol:
Yeah, I know, but these threads are good for bumping my post count so I can be a "4 Star General" too . :mrgreen:

bassetdeuce

Where did you get your info on Maine?
Not to be harsh, but does anyone ever read? As I said before, look up the statutes.

Maine Revised Statutes Title 29A, Chapter 11, Section 1252

A Class C license authorizes:

(6) A person to operate a truck registered as an antique automobile, regardless of weight or combination weight, provided the vehicle is used for noncommercial recreational purposes or purposes pursuant to section 101, subsection 3. [2007, c. 383, §20 (AMD).]

Maine Revised Statutes Title 29A, Chapter 19, Section 2090

Antique vehicles (REALLOCATED FROM TITLE 29-A, SECTION 2089)
A vehicle registered as an antique vehicle pursuant to section 457 may pull a trailer or semitrailer as long as the vehicle is used for noncommercial recreational purposes or for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. [RR 2003, c. 1, §30 (RAL).]

SECTION HISTORY RR 2003, c. 1, §20 (RAL).

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The toughest aspect of getting a CDL (I am speaking of Alabama) is having a truck to road test in. That is why a lot of folks have to go to a truck driving school (CDL mill) and spend big bucks.

If you have a licensed and insured tractor trailer (that will pass a DOT inspection) you can road test.

You can get the study guide at your local DMV.

A CDL cost more than a regular license. You may also need a DOT physical and maybe a drug test......most family doctors have the paperwork and can do them.

Milage may vary in your home state.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The toughest aspect of getting a CDL (I am speaking of Alabama) is having a truck to road test in. That is why a lot of folks have to go to a truck driving school (CDL mill) and spend big bucks.

If you have a licensed and insured tractor trailer (that will pass a DOT inspection) you can road test.

You can get the study guide at your local DMV.

A CDL cost more than a regular license. You may also need a DOT physical and maybe a drug test......most family doctors have the paperwork and can do them.

Milage may vary in your home state.
You forgot one thing you need a friend with cdl to get the truck to the testing area.:driver::lost:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks