• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m818 mack

area52

If it has a Mack engine then its a M52A1 not an M818. The M818 has a Cummins engine. Unless someone did some changing of the engines.

What do the data plates say?

mortarman

I have'nt looked at the data plate yet but thats a good start. This one came to australia a couple of years ago from hawaii and I just got a couple of days ago. Were these very common and would you know if they will self bleed.
Colin.

area52

Are you sure its a Mack engine? Which model engine? The older 5 tons (M52A1) came with the ENDT-673. the newer M809 series of trucks ( of which the M818 is the tractor version) came with a NHC-250 Cummins.

The M818 is longer in the hood/side panels and fenders to accommodate the longer Cummins engine but other than that, they are almost identical.

oh yea almost forgot:

nopics

Last edited:

mortarman

My camera is missing in action at the moment but a reinforcement is on the way.
My air cleaner is on the right hand side and it has a big sign on the lower right side of the engine that says mack. Where would I find out the year of manufacture.
Colin.

area52

Check your drivers side frame rail for a serial number and see if it matches the one on the data plate. It might be under several layers of paint. Also, measure the hood or side panel front to back and post up the number and I will compare it to my truck to see if its a M818 or M52A1.

If it is an original M52A1, then its kinda rare, not too many trucks with Mack engines.

Just thought about this - look at my avatar pic and see if your front fender looks like that or its smaller.

Last edited:

mortarman

I think it look smaller but I will have a look in the morning as it is night time here now and I will get all numbers and hopefully my new camera will be here by then and I will post them up. Thanks for your help so far.
Colin.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To expand on this-
The Mack powered trucks and their kin, such as M52/M54 etc came with the air filter on the right front fender and they have a flat grill.
The M818 and its kin, powered by the NHC-250 have the air filter on the left fender, and have a contoured grill. The hood is visibly longer and has a slightly bulbous appearance at the center front.

Maybe the descriptions will make sense if you look at the attached pictures.

Cheers

Pic 1 - M54 (preserved in England, I believe), same nose as M52
Pic 2 and 3 - M813, same nose as M818

Attachments

M813A1

If your air cleaner is on the right it is a M39 Series 5 Ton . As M813rc has shown in the photos is the difference between the M39 Series and M809 series trucks !! Your truck at some point may have had the data plate changed !! All of the M52 model truck has a Flat grille similar to the M35A2 Duece !! Also the M818 hood would be longer and the air cleaner would be on the Left Fender !!! Most likely someone changed the data plate and sold the truck as a M818 !! The Cummins has 3 rectangular shaped Rocker boxes because the engine has 3 seperate heads on the Cummins !! Also the M818 has the smaller Power Steering pump on the left front of the motor !!

Last edited:

mortarman

Hello everyone and thankyou for the warm welcome! I know now it must be a m52a1 as it does have a flat grill, the air filter is on the right and it has a short bonnet. As soon as my new camera turns up I will post some pictures.
Regards
Colin.

I missed a pair of M52A1 Tractors in New Mexico afew years back. They were used by loggers to pull chip trailers
out of the forest so they didn't tear up their Peterbilt road tractors. They were in rough but restorable state. Also they
had an M52A2. I was trying to work a deal on all three but was unable to meet what they wanted and shortly they disappeared. I hope one of us collectors got their hands on them! I kick myself still on a daily basis for not being able
to get them! Just Love those old Mack powered trucks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks