• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 parking brake and power steering

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,

I want to pick your brains with a few m818 questions.... First off, whats a good civi equivalent for power steerig fluid that I can use to top off whats already in the system?

Secondly, can anyone give me an idea of how hard it would be to convert the truck's parking brake to one like an OTR tractor has (ie-- cans on one of the rear axles that use hold off pressure to release the parking brake, controlled via a dash mounted valve). Would it even be possible to do and still maintain the air over hydraulic service brakes? As an alternative, does anyone know of something that can be modified to fit to the e-brake drum on the transfer case that would work in a similar fashion?

Ziggy

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't think there is anyway to add the air operated parking brakes on the rear and retain the stock air over hydraulic service brake-it's one or the other.

What about a pinion brake? Don't some of the off-road outfits that build rockwells for the rock crawler guys offer a single caliper and rotor for one of the unused pinion flanges that can be used as am emergency/parking brake?

acetomatoco

Engine oil... Any alternate parking brake vehicles equipped with spring brake can would not be able to be pushed or towed without pullback bolt release of said can in a situation whre there was no air pressure in system to do it pneumatically. A cable operated pinion brake on one of the rear diffs would work.. see Jatonka mods...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks