• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m818 problem

slotman

I am going to help my son work on his M818 tractor - it seems that fuel is getting into the oil - the dip stick reads over a gallon high. What could cause this problem? What should I check? The truck starts and runs OK at this time. Oil pressure starts out good but as the truck heats up the pressure drops quite a bit, I think because of the thinness of the oil. Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WillWagner and I pulled my injectors and the o-rings were all flattened out. Fuel can pass into the rocker boxes past bad o-rings and mix with the lube oil. Replacing the o-rings helped out.

PM Will and I'm sure he can assist you.

slotman

Thanks for the replies, no water is in the oil pan, no loss of water from radiator nor bubbles.
I will look at the "O" rings on the injectors to see if that is a possible problem.
Does the injector pump have any seals or "O" rings that could be bad, allowing fuel to pass into the oil?
Does this engine have a mechanical fuel pump where a bad diaphram or gasket could allow fuel to pass into the oil?
I live a long way from my son, so when I get there I want to be able to check all possible causes for this problem. Please let me know if there might be any other causes I can check.
As far as diagnosing, if the injector "O" rings were leaking would the truck still run? or just loose some power? If the "O" rings are bad, where is the best place to get the replacements?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only 3 places on the 855,
External injector leak..that's the o-rings.
Internal injector, coming up around the barrel and plunger.
Fuel pump front seal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks