• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m818 recovery ---Done and Home

davidkroberts

Colelkhunter and I got back last night from Ferros place in South Carolina to West Tennessee. We drove Brians 1031 CUCV with a M101 bed conversion to Ferros place and arrived and started pre-trip inspections at maybe 10 at night. We were going to get a hotel but decided to get moving until we got tired and then stop somewhere along the Interstate. All went well and we ended up sleeping in a rest area me in my m818 across the seat. Brian was in the CUCV we were tow barring. I slept pretty good the seats were new, brian said he had a seatbelt digging into his back and didnt get a wink hardly. Good thing,I was thinking about firing the truck up when i got up at 6 and just driving off with him still in the back.

I was having issues with my debit card so i had to wait until the bank opened to get a tank of fuel in Ashville NC. I had carried a wad of cash for emergencies but diesel was cheaper if you paid in cash so i was using it...... lesson learned. Keep your reserve funds.

When brian was dropping the rear driveshaft on the 1031 he left the half-moon mounting brackets for the U joint. We had planned on using the 1031 as a recovery vehicle to get us to the next exit or for running parts but we kinda shot ourselves in the foot on that. The front ones arent the same size....rats

The truck had a few of the electrical connections disconnected so it took us awhile to get the lights and wipers working properly. The truck ran like a dream from the very start until the end we didnt do anything other than add diesel..... a bunch of diesel[thumbzup]. Pulling the 1031 with the tow bar went fine we never felt it even move. I was able to maintain about 55 mph and was getting about 7.8 mpg while flat towing. I tried to keep it around 2000 rpm. I added a can of seafoam to both tanks before we got fuel the first time. I was running mainly on the left tank and was using the right as a backup. The diesel was kinda old and smelled funny so i didnt want to dirty my filter anymore than i had to. I had brought a spare but i wanted to flush the tanks as much as possible before I pulled it. I also added about a quarter gallon of Lucas Oil to the crank case. I noticed a little higher engine pressure.

Thanks to reading the site here I knew the trick about reseting the emergency engine stop on the injection pump if you pull it. Brian pulled it to turn the truck off and didnt tell me what it was. All I new is that it just wouldnt start.... A guy had a similar problem here a year or so ago on a recovery and i remembered what he had to do to fix it. In case anyone is wondering about it on a search if the emergency stop handle in the cab over the instrument panel isnt for stopping the truck. If you pull it you have to get under the hood and manually move the lever arm back to positiion before it will run again.

I left my 1009 at brians house so he can use it to get more Ujoint brackets so im Daily Driving the M818 and M35A2 until monday. I love this new truck. Power steering, lots of power...... I love my m35s but a 818 is a very nice ride.

Awesome recovery..... thanks for the offer to help along the way for members, sorry I didnt get to meet any of you, but glad i had no problems

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats great that it went so smooth. I hate laying on my back in the dirt so I had covers made for the rear hubs on my Oh-8. Now I just pop the axle shafts out. Great looking 818.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks