• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 recovery (important note for all newbies!!)

Bow-man

So I had just picked up my "new" M818 at Tinker AFB, and was enjoying a nice quick Subway sandwich with M1075 (who had stopped by to check on a few of his new purchases), and life was grand. The jet jocks were in great number at the restaurant, and I couldn't help but feel a little proud with my new toy sitting outside (although I'm sure none of those guys noticed since it doesn't burn JP4). The fuel was topped off, the lights/brakes/signals all worked, and she purred like a kitten. I was pumped. My dad was up from Tejas dodging the hurricane so I was even more proud to show off my MV acquiring skills to him. We pulled onto the main south bound road and drove the short mile to I240. Railroad tracks, no problem. Stoplights? Nothing to it. This is one helluva big-a** military truck! And with power steering to boot!!
I made the turn east bound to make the 1.5 hour jaunt to the ranch. 35...40...35...50...52....WHAM!!!!! I had forgotten to lock down the hood latches!!! Da"$&%....I had noticed when looking at M1075's M818's that all of the hood latches were unhooked, and I'm sure the GL guys had just forgotten to latch them back after taking photos of the engine blocks. Anyway, I'm sure it was comical to see me rolling along with the hood plastered across the cab like a discarded election yard sign! I limped off the shoulder and, to make a longer story shorter-- a cable was cut when I tried to slam it back down. I had to turn the power off because the batteries were causing sparks on this said cable. Anyhow, the rig wouldn't start afterwards. I tried everything, and managed a decent field splice, but NADA. I had to get back to Tulsa soon so we had no choice but to commit the unthinkable and leave that baby on the shoulder.
Enter M1075 to the rescue!! He took off work early and drove down with his 1009, along with SS member Tackettr. They managed to jump it and drive it to Tackett's place up north of OKC.
So this morning, I arrived with wife/baby in tow, and M1075 met me there with two new 24 volters, and she fired right up!! M1075 went back to work and my wife ditched me once she realized I could only drive 54mph. Made the 90 mile trip back to T-town with no problems. Even had two state troopers fly by like I was standing still (always a good feeling).
Sorry, but no pics of the first part of the recovery. Got a few from this morning.
Note to self: ALWAYS CHECK THE HOOD LATCHES!!!!
Peace, brothers....
Oh, and THANKS a million to M1075...the favors are piling up, my friend. Also a special thanks to Tackettr for allowing my M818 to spend the night (or two) in his back yard...

Attachments

papercu

Glad you made it O.K. and you are not the first to do a hood flip so don't feel too bad! But what cable was that close to the hood?? Wayne

M1075

It was no problem my friend. Thanks for posting the pics. Your truck looks better from the back than the front. rofl The "small" indentation in the hood gives it some character! Anybody have a M809 hood for sale?

When you pulled away, that black smoke was just pouring out the stack. Nice truck for your fleet. Now how about a trailer? :driver:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember to do your walk-around of your truck before you take a trip of any length. You might prevent accidents like this next time. Glad you're okay.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wished you would have contacted me. I am only 9 miles from the GL lot at Tinker.

Plenty of space to park a truck.

Warthog

PS. Congrats of the great truck.

Armada

Remember to do your walk-around of your truck before you take a trip of any length. You might prevent accidents like this next time. Glad you're okay.
And if towing, don't forget to close the pintle and lock it..... eh, Mike?
Good looking truck and glad it all worked out.

jasonjc

Well I was back there at OKC today and pick mine up. Must have mist you some where along the way. Glade to see you could drive yours home, I had to come back with the tow bar. 10hrs behine the wheel to day :( :driver:

FrankUSMC

You need to go to church this Sunday and put a little "extra" in the plate. The Angel that was watching over you might have been on over time.
Back in the mid 90s, at Camp Lejuene, we had a Marine killed and his co driver was badly injured when the 5 ton hood of there truck flipped back on them.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Green_gator

Here is another tip for pick up. When you stop on the side of the road to check out a sound in Oklahoma, make sure that you secure the hood in the up position! I can explain in great detail just how much force the hood puts out when a strong Oklahoma wind hits it and drops it on your head. One of the things I know better then to do but forgot to do that time.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I'm glad that you managed to get pulled over safely! Judging by the rust that appears to be on that crease in the middle of the hood, I'd guess that you're not the first person to flip that particular hood, so at least you didn't put a big crease in a pristine hood! :)

Don't the M800 series trucks have a spring hook at the front of the hood to keep the hood from popping open if you forget to hook it down? I guess yours must not be latching properly. It's no substitute for checking the hood latches, but it still ought to work well because it could save your life.

Anyway, congratulations on a successful recovery of a nice tractor!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow that was saving Grace for sure I have seen it go way worse for a Soldier too. Many days in the hospital pretty broken up. The pictures make me miss my M818, I have hardly had time to even get in it since we got it home in March I had to come back to Korea. I will caution my sons as they pick up the M109 at Anneville soon that along with the window shades.

That is a nice looking truck and I hope it runs great for you. They don't like being single though and it is traditonal that they get an arranged marriage with an M127.

Bow-man

So far it is running just fine. My wife absolutely HATES it for some reason (she actually thinks the deuce is pretty cool), and thinks I should sell it and get a M1009 instead.
:roll:
I actually think the 818 is pretty tough looking. Very Mad Maxish. Driving it down to the ranch today so it can live happily with the others. Now I just need a trailer to match. Any 172's out there looking for a mate?
Any M1009's, for that matter?

HVYMTL

Sounds like a totally unexpected scary situation!! Luckily you weren't in heavy traffic and had a place to pull over safely. I'm a newbie, so this could have happened to me.....now it won't!! Thanks to your input. Nice looking tractor by the way. I'm hoping to retreive my M818 within a week or so from Ft. Drum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks