• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 Registration question

buzzinhalfdozzen

I searched but couldn't find anything that answers my questions, so here goes...

I'm planning on buying an M818 in Virginia and bringing it back to PA. I'm going to drive it back. My questions are......

To get a Virginia plate, do I need an insurance card with that specific vehicle on it? In PA I'm pretty sure the last vehicle I got all I had to do was show an insurance card in my name for any vehicle, then I had up to two days to notify my insurance company of the new purchase, I believe.

I would be getting a temp plate in Virginia? right?

I've never bought a vehicle out of state. Trying to get the number of the notary that will handling all this just to make sure I have everything covered. Thanks in advance for the help.

RGummere

I'm not 100% sure about Va. but the M-818 Dad and I have was picked up at Ft Knox and taken to Indiana. We wondered about a temp plate too but were told by In and Ky BMV that in order to get Ky temp plates, we had to be residents of Ky. We couldn't get In plates yet since it was still in Ky and we would have to have the registration #'s ran through the system. It was the typical catch-22, we're trying to be legal but kept having to jump through hoops. I'm not advocating anything illegal here but you could just pick it up and drive back. In my experience, unless you are driving erratically or doing something really blatant, most law enforcement officers assume you are just some troop on a mission. That's my 2 cents worth.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what I do. Get the title and a bill of sale when you pick up the truck. Drive home.
Make sure you have insurance that will cover you bringing it home though.

I'm not saying it's right or legal, it's just what I do.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would think to be 100% you go to your states DMV with proof of insurance/ proof of purchace and ID #'s and get transport tag for 3 days.

Or do as SW said not 100% but just be carefull and make shure everything is up to par brakes/ stop lights.

Last edited:

gunboy1656

When I went to pick up my trailers out in Ohio, I was told I would need a trip permit from Ohio to get them home, the state of PA would not give me one.

So find a AAA or a DMV down that way on your route there and pick one up.

buzzinhalfdozzen

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up passing on the truck. A little too much surface rust to pass for a PA antique plate. Ran great tho. I just don't have time to paint it.