• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m818 repower

tiny110

Banned
Now I'm thinking about maybe buying a civilian truck and swapping in the engine, bell housing and transmission. That way I can get a better transmission and gearbox so I could run a more powerful motor. But I do want to keep the 6 wheel drive functional. Anyone know if that would be possible?

tiny110

Banned
So now I am thinking my best bet for dropping in repower motor would be a cummins small cam 350. So I can keep the same transmission bellhousing and transfer case and have the most power those parts can handle with the least amount of fab work and modifications. Sound about right?

happytriggerman

i just bought a m818 and am too looking to get more power not speed. if i do an engine swap would like to keep the simplicity of the original engine. and the same water tight integrity. so do any one know about too much boost pressure blowing head gaskets? running twin turbos? the size of the turbos? what etgs are to high? what kind of other fuels have you guys had success with like propane, water methanol injection? ive read people experimenting with them in the smaller engines is it similar situations?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you on vacation in Virgina?

seano11

I've been playing with the idea of putting a 400big cam in. But my 250 runs so good I hate to do it. I'd be pretty interested in putting a different tranny in. Will a different one fit ?

I've been playing with the idea of putting a 400big cam in. But my 250 runs so good I hate to do it. I'd be pretty interested in putting a different tranny in. Will a different one fit ?
the length is allways something to watch but there is some wiggle room there.
but the width is pretty limited with the front drive shaft running along side. I dont know for sure but im thinking any twin counter shaft trans is going to have clearance issues with this shaft. I however am not a expert on anything and all i have to offer is what i found when doing the research and repower on my project truck.

atvcat33

Ive been down this road..... heres the situation.... with the non turbo motor, i pulled 1500° on the pyro with a 15,000lbs trailer the same egts were obtained when empty... after adding the turbo i never ever went over 900°. Which is perfect. I only got a 10psi of boost and that was all. Any mods done to the pump with the addition to turbo are a ticking time bomb if you plan on using the truck for power as i did. I also had jake brakes which is the long run were the better choice. The turbo only added a tiny tiny bit of low end only noticeable whe bdobtailing. After about year of running about 2500 miles the crank went out, truck had 70,000 miles. Now im not messing around... its getting a new 855 335 or 350, both can be turned up to 400hp. A 10 speed and a new t-case, those sprag deals are junk. Pics will follow up on a new post early spring. The big cam trucks dont have enough hood clearance with intercooler, and the oil pan sump pump hits the front diff. So motor parts will be swapped. The cab and front clip will be raised to accomodate the motor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks