• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 tractor loading advice needed for 2 trucks in Indiana.

We should be getting our EUC forms completed in the next few weeks so we can pick up two M818’s we won in Stout Field, Indiana.

My question is we have one drop deck trailer that will be picking up both units that is 40” off the ground on the lower deck. Both of the trucks look to be right out of a refurb and stated that they were driven in. I did not have a chance to preview the units before bidding so your guess is as good as mine on the running condition. I’m guessing that I’ll at least get one to run (I’ll bring batteries and tools with me).

I see my options as the following-
1) Is there a loading dock at the Stout Field location? I was told there isn’t a loading dock at this location by a site manager? Is there a loading dock that is located close to this facility maybe at a warehouse or equipment dealer?
2) I could make up a pair of heavy ramps to drive the trucks onto the trailers with. Has anyone done this? Any advice or pictures? Does Harbor Freight make industrial ramps? Just kidding.
3) I could have someone in Indiana (a paving company?) with a Landall tilting trailer pick the trucks up and then drive the truck onto the other trailer off the Landoll.
4) I could have a large wrecker pick up the truck and place it on the trailer. $$$

Any ideas? Is anybody familiar with this site or have a good contact in Indianapolis for help with loading. I don’t mind paying to get them loaded but obviously want to keep the cost down as much as possible.

Thanks again for your help and looking forward to your responses. PM me if contact info needed, etc.
Andy

Attachments

Westech

CPL
RE: M818 tractor loading advice needed for 2 trucks in India

There is NO loading at the place! I was just there last week. the tractors you got do run! and are road ready. Bring some fuel and some starting fluid. There is a "jumper" truck there used if the batts are dead.
Dont try to make ramps your asking to get killed. that tractor is over 15k pounds.
Just drive them home, or when you get there scout around to find a loading dock some place. with a couple bucks im sure someone will let you use it.

M1075

I would go with option 4 and hire a local heavy wrecker to do the lifting (unless you have access to a M816 on site). I used my M816 to unload my M818, one end at a time. Option 3 might work if you had a flatbed trailer, but the drop deck might present a challenge. I don't know what the overall height would be if using a flatbed trailer, but here are some pics of it being done.

Attachments

thanks M1075!

Thanks for the responses. M1075 thanks for the pictures! That is exactly what I needed. I deal with a large waste hauler in Indianapolis and I'm going to ask them who they recommend for towing service in that area. If anybody is familiar with a good wrecker company in Indianapolis, IN please list them or PM me.
thanks again,
Andy

Armada

RE: thanks M1075!

Driving them is always an option. With a tow bar you could tow one back and the other guy can drive the chase vehicle. I picked mine up from there last Thursday. Drove it home over 300 miles. We towed the jeep back with it. One tank was 3/4 full, the other was 1/2 full. You will wet your pants when you see them. They are brandy new, and I mean everything is new on them.

How about one of the Museums in the area?

Might be able to get some help with a loading ramp from Fred Ropkey at the Ropkey Museum? I know they're just outside of Indy. There may be another one in the area, too.

One of those guys should, at least, be able to give you a name to contact.

redass73

RE: Re: RE: thanks M1075!

andy. I work for a family towing company about 30 miles from Stout Field, we could come load them out for you. I picked up Wreckerman M52 about 6 weeks ago there. should be plenty of room to load out over there. for $500 I would send over 2 big wreckers and we can put one at each end of yours and you can back your trailer right under them.
rick

rizzo

Re: RE: Re: RE: thanks M1075!

redass73 said:
andy. I work for a family towing company about 30 miles from Stout Field, we could come load them out for you. I picked up Wreckerman M52 about 6 weeks ago there. should be plenty of room to load out over there. for $500 I would send over 2 big wreckers and we can put one at each end of yours and you can back your trailer right under them.
rick
IMO using two is a waste, unless your having fun

I have used the method 1075 uses and one wrecker is fine, it can be costly. cost me 500 when picking up my 543 in florida

rizzo

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: thanks M1075!

I would probablyblock up the back end and drive it on. I would try it at home with another truck first

redass73

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: thanks M1075!

ya rizzo either truck is more than enough for a 5 ton tractor but with 2 it will be faster and easier .oh and yes more fun...

rizzo

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: thanks M1075!

rizzo said:
I would probablyblock up the back end and drive it on. I would try it at home with another truck first
dump the air out of the rear bags when you do this

BigJay

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: thanks M1075!

Search dma's posts (his hemtt threads) there is a shot of the block ramps they built to load/unload his hemtt. Looked fairly safe and straight forward.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks