• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 with hydro setup

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I have a very nice M818 that just sits around and gathers dust.:cry:

I also have an older 48' Traileze Sliding Axle trailer that we don't use much anymore so...I'm thinking...put a "wet kit" on the M818 and tow the trailer with it. The trailer is in good shape so that's not an issue. DOT inspected.

I'm thinking it will make an excellent MV toy hauler and we won't have to tie up a commercial tractor when we go to events/displays etc.:-D

Plan on the first trip being the GA Rally...but that may be a tad ambitious.:???:

Anyhoo...if anyone is interested, I'll update this thread with pics etc as progress is made.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How are you going to drive the pump?

I've thought about doing the same with my M932. It's already got the pump and tank for the winch. All I'd have to do is add a valve and wet lines.

Bolkbich

I used a dual pto off of a m817 to run my wetline. Turbo was then a necessity after i started pulling heavier loads. Worked great for local dump trailer work.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
How are you going to drive the pump?.
I wonder if a gas or diesel pony motor with a direct drive pump might be the ticket.Lance
Hey Larry, How about weight issues with Proud American on the back? Isn't that trailer prety heavy?
We've ordered a new pto for the M818 and already have everything else to do the job from a civvy tractor I scrapped earlier this year.:-D

I have a pony motor on my RGN but prefer to keep it on that trailer.

Weight will be fine and legal...just won't be able to set any land speed records!:beer:
I'm hoping to get started next week. Gonna have to do some moving around to make stuff fit.
Prolly going to have to move or remove the tool box so we can mount the hydro tank there.:(

I REALLY want to have it ready for the GA Rally so we can haul some stuff up without using a civvy tractor.:beer:

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hey Larry, How about weight issues with Proud American on the back? Isn't that trailer prety heavy?
Just for grins and giggles, Troy and I hooked the M818 up to the trailese today for a test run...minus the hydro unit.

She pulled that trailer like she was bobtailing!!:shock:
(Well...after the flat spots from sitting rounded out on the tires)

The PTO came in today but we can't play with it tomorrow cause we have a priority mission at the VFW, but we will get hot next week on it.

Oh...and of course the battery was dead in my camera so...no pics.:oops::oops:nopics

There...I did it for ya!!:)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had a pony motor on our sliding axle tilt trailer. It got to be such a pain we took it off. Seemed like every time you went somewhere it would be out of gas (you can't just run to the store in a tractor/trailer) or you'd have to tinker with it to get it to run right. We swapped over to wet lines from the truck and no more problems. You've already got a engine on the truck so why not use it.

Our sliding axle trailer (Trail King) is fairly heavy. It's custom built with cross members on 12" centers though.

Attachments

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
We had a pony motor on our sliding axle tilt trailer. It got to be such a pain we took it off. Seemed like every time you went somewhere it would be out of gas (you can't just run to the store in a tractor/trailer) or you'd have to tinker with it to get it to run right. We swapped over to wet lines from the truck and no more problems. You've already got a engine on the truck so why not use it.
Our sliding axle trailer (Trail King) is fairly heavy. It's custom built with cross members on 12" centers though.
That's pretty much the same trailer M16ty...including the "beaver tail"...just a different name.

I agree...the pony motor is a PITA. Mine is electric start etc...but we never use it cause all our tractors have wet kits...and of course the drivers don't PM it like they should...but swear they do...so if we need the pony motor...the gas is stale, the battery is dead etc, etc,...:oops::oops:

On a good note though (Doghead would be proud of me) I did a search and saw where somebody said ya can get LED lights that handle from 10-30 volts so there should not be an issue with the lights on the trailer.
I stopped by our supplier and he is gonna see if Grote sells them in the shape/size we need for the trailer.
If that works out, we can use any tractor we want without worries.

We already know the trailer brakes work very well hooked to the 818 so when we get the hydro hooked up we should be good to go.

While we are rigging the tractor with hydro, I think I will take the trailer over to the blaster and have him strip off the paint so we can do a camo paint job to match the tractor.

I promise...I'll post some pics as soon as I can borrow some money to buy a battery for my camera!!:shock:

Attachments

goldneagle

I have a very nice M818 that just sits around and gathers dust.:cry:

I also have an older 48' Traileze Sliding Axle trailer that we don't use much anymore so...I'm thinking...put a "wet kit" on the M818 and tow the trailer with it. The trailer is in good shape so that's not an issue. DOT inspected.

I'm thinking it will make an excellent MV toy hauler and we won't have to tie up a commercial tractor when we go to events/displays etc.:-D

Plan on the first trip being the GA Rally...but that may be a tad ambitious.:???:

Anyhoo...if anyone is interested, I'll update this thread with pics etc as progress is made.
For us dummies, what is a wet kit?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
For us dummies, what is a wet kit?
GE...I would never call you a dummy...cause I know you are very intelligent and a good troop.:beer:

A "wet kit" consists of a PTO, hydro pump, fluid tank, hoses and mechanisms to make em work.

Sorta like a winch on a deuce...but hydro instead of mechanical.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"wet kit" is just trucker slang for what PB said.

PB, while we're talking trailers I've got a question. Does your trailer have 17.5 rubber? The trailer in the pic above has blowouts fairly often. I was just wondering what kind of luck you were having. I know a lot of the newer trailers have switched to 22.5 low pro tires. We are running the heaviest 17.5 tire we can find but blowouts are still a problem.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
"wet kit" is just trucker slang for what PB said.

PB, while we're talking trailers I've got a question. Does your trailer have 17.5 rubber? The trailer in the pic above has blowouts fairly often. I was just wondering what kind of luck you were having. I know a lot of the newer trailers have switched to 22.5 low pro tires. We are running the heaviest 17.5 tire we can find but blowouts are still a problem.
17.5 tires indeed, and yes we frequently have blowouts on long trips at high speed!! :shock:

Look at your tires...I bet they are speed rated for only around 60MPH!:(:(

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Samll update

PTO unit came in Friday too late to do anything with and Saturday we spent all day at the VFW (secret project that I will reveal in a seperate thread next week if approved by the VFW folks...and it will...or else).

So...today Troy got the PTO mounted and rounded up most of the other stuff we need between working on the civvy wreckers etc. (Pic was taken before he was finished...LOL)
PTO/hydro pump will be air activated.

Also verified that we can get the 10-30 volt LED lights for the trailer so there is no issue there.:D

We have an extra military light cord so we will change one end connector to plug into the civvy trailer and rewire to operate the lights correctly.
In this way, we can simply disconnect the original light cord, connect the "modded one" to the tractor and trailer and have lights etc.

Won't have to modify the tractor...or the trailer volt wise.:D

Won't have the lights for a few days but here are a few pics of some of the hydro stuff:

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't know you could find a Chelsea PTO to mount to the 5-ton trans. I know the Chelsea for the deuce is as scarce as hens teeth.

We use the air PTOs on everything. It's just a nicer setup and you don't have to worry about routing a cable.