• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Some interesting trivia on the lever. I was talking to a very smart truck driver about the lever and he told me that some of the new trucks no longer come with the lever. I know years ago all trucks came with the lever. He said there are a lot of truckers that just haul other folks trailers with their own tractors. Sounds right. He said some of the drivers were not using the tractor brakes for normal stopping but used only the trailer brakes. I guess the trailer owners were getting tired of having to replace the trailer brakes often just so the tractor driver could save on his cost of maintaining brakes on his tractor. Sort of like "let the other guy pay" deal.

Anyone else heard this before ?? Tiger ?? zout ?? what say you ??

dezert ratt

johnny bar, trolly brake...

Ask the questions here(and read the tms). We have the experiance and knowledge to help everyone.

Sometimes questions do seem "dumb", but to not ask, would be "more dumb".

We're all adults here(some only in age), we all learn new things daily.

Can we see a picture of your new truck?
uploadfromtaptalk1324828662978.jpg

Scrounger

It is usually called a trolley valve. It applies the brakes to a trailer.
Some of the uses of the valve are and were.
Prior to 1976 trailers were not required to have automatic spring brakes that double as parking brakes. When coupling to a trailer one would hook up the air lines to the trailer and apply the trailer brakes with the trolley valve so the trailer wouldn’t roll away during coupling. As already mentioned one can test the trailer brakes with the valve. If you have a trailer with sliding tandems, one releases the locking pins, applies the trailer brakes, backs up or pulls forward with the tractor to slide the tandems on the frame, then reinstalls the pins. That way one can shift the weight on the axles. The valve can also be used at a stop light to keep from rolling instead of holding the foot brake down. The trolley valve should never be used a parking brake.

zout

It is called the trailer brake hand control - specifically designed to control the trailer brakes specifically - imagine pulling a chain - what happens when you stop the front of the chain - the rear of the chain will curl and start to whiplash - its called inertia.

Slowing a towed trailer with a hand control and then using the tractors foot control is a KEY in hauling trailers. Besides this - it is less expensive when you do not own the trailer - to wear out their brakes on a trailer than it is to replace the brakes/drums/shoes/hardware kits on YOUR tractor.

The lever on the steer column MIA is correct - it is now dash mounted and it has a longer stem with a much larger T handle. IT is not totaly MIA.

dezert ratt

It is usually called a trolley valve. It applies the brakes to a trailer.
Some of the uses of the valve are and were.
Prior to 1976 trailers were not required to have automatic spring brakes that double as parking brakes. When coupling to a trailer one would hook up the air lines to the trailer and apply the trailer brakes with the trolley valve so the trailer wouldn’t roll away during coupling. As already mentioned one can test the trailer brakes with the valve. If you have a trailer with sliding tandems, one releases the locking pins, applies the trailer brakes, backs up or pulls forward with the tractor to slide the tandems on the frame, then reinstalls the pins. That way one can shift the weight on the axles. The valve can also be used at a stop light to keep from rolling instead of holding the foot brake down. The trolley valve should never be used a parking brake.
:thumbup::beer: sometimes the tm's dont give us real world day to day use info like this. Thanks guys for all the great info!

zout

Not to be a SA - but seeing as this hit on Braking there is another issue out there on newer vehicles to consider.

If you have an ABS system in your MV or pov for what it is worth - get to know what it feels like to be under ABS braking. Know what the brake pedal will feel like - get to know how to steer when under ABS braking situations.

Almost 99% of first time ABS braking circumstances that were also accident involved the driver that was under ABS braking said:
"I lost my brakes" - this was also done involving fire departments across the country under the NTSB.

IF you cannot get to a place where you can practise an ABS braking situation - look up some great video's that explain this so you do not get surprised when it happens - you will have some advance knowledge of what to expect.

It is indeed an entirely different feeling on the brake pedal.

fasttruck

On trucks so equipped the hand applicator valve will allow airf to enter the service brake line to actuate trailer brakes borth at the fifth wheel trailer poiint behind the cab and the drawbar trailer point at the end of the chassis. Cargo trucks typically do not have a hand appplicatgor valve so it is diffcult to test the brakes when hooking up as it would be with a tractor that has this feature. An independent trailer brake check that is.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
At times the trailer tries to pass the tractor, like down hill on a wet road, this is when you really appreciate the trailer hand brake control

littlebob

Not to be a SA - but seeing as this hit on Braking there is another issue out there on newer vehicles to consider.

If you have an ABS system in your MV or pov for what it is worth - get to know what it feels like to be under ABS braking. Know what the brake pedal will feel like - get to know how to steer when under ABS braking situations.

Almost 99% of first time ABS braking circumstances that were also accident involved the driver that was under ABS braking said:
"I lost my brakes" - this was also done involving fire departments across the country under the NTSB.

IF you cannot get to a place where you can practise an ABS braking situation - look up some great video's that explain this so you do not get surprised when it happens - you will have some advance knowledge of what to expect.

It is indeed an entirely different feeling on the brake pedal.
I agree and not to take too far off topic, but ABS is a pet peeve of mine. I've been in situations that ABS would have made it worse and also can remember in low traction situations "it might of helped", I'll never know about the "it might of helped"

dezert ratt

At times the trailer tries to pass the tractor, like down hill on a wet road, this is when you really appreciate the trailer hand brake control
Ive done that before in a civi vehicle when the trailer started fishtailing i grabbed the brake controller to stabilize the trailer

Like locking up the trailer brakes kinda problem?
Yes. if your trailer is trying to pass your tractor its because the trailer tires lost their traction. quite often this happens because the driver applied a lot of brakes. If anyone thinks more brakes will help straighten out this situation they are mistaken. the only thing that is going to help you out of this is allowing the trailer tires to regain traction and get back behind you where it belongs.

wrong info of this type can get people killed.

I may of mis understood some of the post above and Im sorry if thats the case but I would rather put safety in front of feelings.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thread Detour....

This thread has taken a SAFETY DETOUR and could just save some lives or prevent some serious injuries and equipment damage.

Here are some videos showing trailers that wanted to pass their prime movers....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS2ZdwV-E5w[/media]​

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8itTnLoGyI[/media]​

Multiple Jackknifings
Great CB Chatter
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84vIfjFf9sk[/media]​

Trooper's Narrative starts at about 1:30 time-tick
Notice: Cause "Road Conditions" but DRIVER CITED !
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz1v8nkYeVM[/media]​

Oncoming Truck nearly nails this car
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C7bxhWzBrA&feature=related[/media]​

PLEASE
Don't let this be YOU !
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxygoUW0KY0&feature=related[/media]​

Live to drive another day.​

:driver:

dezert ratt

Im glad to see everyones concern for safety, these trucks are old heavy and a little different then modern day trucks. The short amount of time ive spent in my truck so far has made me realize how much respect we need to have for these vehicles. ie: i picked up my dads 35 ft long bounder motorhome this morning, while driving it i thought to myself, this thing is so much easier to drive and theres less going on with driver controls, more visibility etc. that just showed me all big vehicles arent the same. I see now what you guys mean about these big mv's not being safe when they are being driven over the max speed they were made for. Ill stick to 52 mph for now! Haha sorry for the long post :eek:

zout

Than again - as one who sits on accident review committee's in trucking accidents here is how it is determined for whom is at fault.

1. Is there ANYTHING the driver Could have done to avoid the accident ?
2. Is there ANYTHING the driver SHOULD have done to avoid the accident ?

I can tell you not many like the answer.

As far as the usage of trailer brake as a continual habit - negative on that - you cannot be a total numbskull when braking as I take it mostly all of us know - not all circumstances are the same and weather conditions. Using trailer brakes was ONLY an example.

There is a reason I am a fleet manager for a trucking company that runs to all 48 and specifically carries daily to the lower SE United States.

The above video's also explains why the Congress initiated CSA2011 and pushing hard with the DOT to bring trucking casulaties to ZERO.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How Ironic...

After posting those videos earlier today, I did several small projects and then ran a short errand with our Deuce.
On the way home, about 2 miles from the house The ARK threw it's compressor belt, and the air pressure BUZZER BUZZED. Air pressure dropped to ZERO. Pulled over - Quick diagnosis - fired her back up and LIMPED the 2 miles home without the advantage of the AIR OVER hydraulic braking. DANG ! ! ! She's stopped like a TRUCK ! ! !
We're expecting 60F temps on Saturday, so I'll fix/replace the belt then.

Sure am glad that everything worked as it should have and I wasn't suprised at a RED LIGHT.

maliboo66

Its called a johnson bar. it engages the trailer brakes. you can use it to check your trailer brakes or when hooking up to an old trailer with no spring brakes you can hook up the air lines first and engage the brakes before getting the fifth wheel under it. Instead of removing the air lines to the back you could install valves and turn them off. Then you could disconnect the switch for the brake lights. No need to remove the whole set up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks