• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818x3+872+447c=long trip

reb87

Well I didnt get many pictures as we were working like dogs to get it all done but my dad and I went down to Hooks Tx and picked up 3 gl m818 trucks, pull started them (with the suburban first) and drove them off the lot to the parking lot. One truck had a padlock on the top toolbox and I just opened it when I got home and it had a new in box jack and air hose,reflectors and wheel tools:). All of my trucks had at least one full fuel tank but the batteries were completely dead and wouldnt even jump or hold a charge after running. I ended up replacing the 4 batteries in my lead truck with two and it worked great. It took a looooonnnnnggggg time to air the tires up using the trucks air system as all 30 tires were low. We ran wires from the towing trucks trailer connector to the back trailer connector and pulled the turnsignal harness of the back truck and that allowed the back trucks lights to work properly(thanks James and Joe). They wouldnt let me on the base with a camera but there were a lot of neat trucks in there and some 939 series trucks with full armor plate on the cabs. Once in the parking lot we used military towbars (thanks to 1075 and Joe for helping with the towbar and signs) and I picked the truck that seemed the most sound and used it to tow the other two trucks to jmmcld's place in Denton tx. I didnt have this planned in advance because I didnt know how it was going to go. I posted for help in Denton and Jim was nice enough to offer his place(it ended up being a lot of work for him though) I couldnt have picked a better location to drop the two truck(thanks Jim) I didnt pull any driveshafts or axles becuase I thought i might need to switch trucks if I had a problem. The trucks pulled great and I had no problem with steering on the back trucks. Ive pulled a deuce with a deuce and had a lot of probs with the back truck trying to steer the opposite war as the front in slow speed turns. I couldnt get into 5th gear unless I was going down hill and the traffic was unbelievable. I was very happy to get off the interstate.

After we dropped the 2 trucks at Jim's we headed down to killeen to get my m872 and m447c off the base. When we finally got down there we had 1 hour to get the trailers off the gl lot. For some reason the guard wouldnt let my dad with the suburban in and said he had to get a pass somewhere and I didnt understand what he meant. I just went in with the m818 and after I got clear into the base realized I left my air hook ups in the suburban.:-x I pulled the 447c out of the gl lot and parked it on the base lot outside the fence. I went back in and checked the 872 out. It ends up having spring brakes only on the middle axle and they were already caged:grin:. I hooked on and pulled it out to the local walmart and my dad started getting the side panels bolted in as they werent pinned in. Unfortunately someone had put a bunch of metal scrap in my "empty as bought" trailer. I hauled the 447 to sermis' place(Thanks Steve) and went back to get the 872. We haluled the 872 to Sermis and unloaded the junk in his pasture for scrap(making a huge mess, thanks again Steve) The 447 ended up having 9 new 11x20 michelin radials on it which was very nice. There were some tools in the trailer as well including a 24volt charger which I was glad to get. The 872 had some extra new side panels which is nice because some were damaged. In all the 872 is an awesome trailer.

We headed back up to Denton and found a construction site that had some berms and terraces that allowed me to back the trailer up and drive the two 818 trucks onto the trailer. Jim really helped out here as it took forever to load,chain,air trailer tires,remove tops and exhaust and fold the windshields. I ended up being 12'5" tall and 79440lbs. 80000 is max for interstate so I was really pushing it. I was surprised that the trailer with the two trucks on it pulled a lot better than the two towbarred trucks even with an extra 17000 lbs. I was able to run in 5th gear most of the way home and only got into 3rd gear on 2 or 3 occasions on really big hills. I guess running thru the gears on the two back trucks really pulls a lot of power. My pics on the road are terrible but we usually didnt get going till dark and I was completely exhausted from the effort.

It was a very long trip (left tuesday and got home late saturday night. I was surprised how long it took to get every thing tied down or aired up.

Attachments

Highwayman87

Wow impressive! You did a great job moving those trucks. I just brought my m52 5 ton home on a lowboy which was a lot easier though. I know if I tried something like that I'd only end up making it worse!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Awesome I cut my teeth on M872 trailers and have amazed people by what a company of sixty tractors and 120 trailers could do cleared yards days in advance of planning and out hauled PLS trucks by a factor of five. They just plain rock. I could haul a Bradley Fighting Vehicle on it if I put wings like a lowboy. Great story and wow you are becoming the Nebraska Militia motorpool

God bless you and thanks for posting this

reb87

The trip took 5 days start to finish(left tuesday morning arrived home saturday night. The 872 was almost $2300 which I consider a steal and the trucks went for 1320,1320,1384 with buyers premium. There were around 50 m818s on the auction and I bid on the only 3 that I could tell had heaters from the pics. Ive been watching the auctions for a while now and have never seen a 5 ton go for less than 2500 unless it was wrecked. From what I can figure I put my bids in before I left to combine corn in the morning and most people just kept bidding on the cheapest trucks as they went up. There were several trucks under my 1200 bid at closing time so mine went off auction. The cheaper ones kept getting bid on and most of them eneded up going a lot higher. I didnt really intend to get all three and didnt think I would get any of the trucks. Im glad mine had heat as it was very cold when I got back to Nebraska.
I couldnt have done this with out the steel soldiers member participation, thanks again,
Ross

Nice!

Ross,
Glad to hear your trip went well and that all of the trucks are runners. Nice looking heavy duty trailer! Great deal on the M818's- glad to see they are in good hands.
Andy

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Those are great prices for M818 tractors the benefits of a mass listing allowed me to get my M127 for $400.00 with all the sideboards. It is a pig compared to the M872 but it is my pig so like a Thailand farmer I am happy.

Speaking of Thailand I got a Thai massage this week and are they awesome. Felt some parts that have not been felt in years. Kinda like surplus equipment getting new life here on our site.:wink:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great to hear you made it home okay. Glad M1075 and I where able to help out. It's always a good feeling to know you have help along the way if needed. This site is great.

Warthog

dm22630

I have a M872 also.....It is parked in my yard. I was thinking that it is too big for my M818. So your M818 pulled it good? loaded??? COOL! :mrgreen:

I guess I might just keep mine now! lol ;)

reb87

I have to say the m872 pulls great behind the m818. I recently brought home two container chassis trailers and my m1009 from Kansas to Nebraska. Ive been hauling soybeans with my m818 and a Stoughton hopper trailer. I had 900 bushels and weighed a little over 80000 lbs. I have one hill between me and the elevator. I was running about 55 mph at the bottom of the hill and had to shift down to fourth gear but kept it around 40mph at the top of the hill. When I use my m915 it runs about 60 at the bottom and drops down to 55 at the top. The 400hp (16 gears)really helps but the 250 works almost as good on short 7 mile trips. It was muddy around the bin sight so I used the 6x6, man I love these trucks...

Last edited: