• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m819- Boat Motor Recovery

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just don't end up like this guy. Wayne
snopes.com: Crane Accident

Tipping or the embankment giving way was a real concern. That drop-off is much higher than it looks.(40-50ft) After extending the boom and test swinging for reach, I had dropped a stabilizer. I also had a few "spotters" watching.

Once the engine was free from the rocks, it was an easy load/lift.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long did it take the lake to destroy and obliterate the boat? What did the salvage operation cost the homeowner? Was the wooded area across the street the final grave for the motor? Cool stuff right here!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The boat went from, a decent 19' boat that was worth salvaging last Fall, to nothing left besides what I lifted this Spring. The shore line ice and waves destroyed the boat 100%. Absolutely nothing else was there besides what I lifted!

The homeowner is neighbors with a friend of mine. The exercise was free and entertaining for them. He really wanted it off his shoreline.

The motor came home with me. I don't see one salvageable piece. I'll add it to my scrap pile. The outdrive is all aluminum.

btw, I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think of all the members that have helped me get this truck, repair it and maintain it and use it safely every time I use it. It is a great example of what this site is all about. Thanks again.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Owning one, and owning one that runs and drives is two COMPLETELY different things. Its kinda like having a picture of one, it looks cool, but is just for decoration. OR BIRD NEST
:(
I would rather own a RARE MV that needs a bit of work and $$$$$$$$$$$$ to get it on the road AGAIN, then a WANT TO OWN looking though the fence at the down MV saying "WOW WISH I HAD THAT" :mrgreen:

According to the wrecker count of 82, there is only 7 tractor wreckers, that is 1 in 12 :beer:

Besides, the tractor wrecker is the only wrecker that can FLY :driver:

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy, you missed the deal that I would have liked. A nice M62A1 or A2 like you have with the M246/819 stick on it. Now that is cool stuff although in it's stock form, the M819 is a much better truck for lift tows. Of course getting me to step up to a 5 ton may take an act of God or Congress. Eric, enjoy your truck thoroughly. Using these truck in a positive light is a big boost for our hobby.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks