• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M819---M270

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
dave, on the crane cab side of the boom there is a metal loop, this is there to hang the hook when towing a trailer, its a pita to get the hook to the loop and more of one to get the hook off the loop. in nam we pulled lowbeds with our 246s so no need to hang the hook. boom supports are not used when pulling a trailer

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
we would put a 8x8 or so on top of the boom hoist cylinder, then set the boom down on it, this kept the boom from leaking down and the hook from getting into the lowbed goose neck, really had no problem of side to side motion. the tm does not call for boom supports when pulling a trailer, also the swing gear does not allow for free swing if you mount a boom support on the trailer

jason@snakeriver

Glad to see that you have a similar set-up to mine. I purchased a M-270 lowbox for my M-819 this spring.
Don't know about overall length, but the light weight is 47,000.
I knew about the loop on the side, BUT, how in the world do you install the spare tire up on the passenger side of the boom ? ? ?
I love the M-819 with the extra manual extending boom. A lot more flexibility. We were sitting 17 foot gate posts with no problems. Tom @ Snake River

jason@snakeriver said:
Glad to see that you have a similar set-up to mine. I purchased a M-270 lowbox for my M-819 this spring.
Don't know about overall length, but the light weight is 47,000.
I knew about the loop on the side, BUT, how in the world do you install the spare tire up on the passenger side of the boom ? ? ?
I love the M-819 with the extra manual extending boom. A lot more flexibility. We were sitting 17 foot gate posts with no problems. Tom @ Snake River
On the road when w brought the M819 home, it took Lane and I both to replace the spare in the original spot.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
"it took Lane and I both to replace the spare in the original spot". that is why the tm calls for a TWO man crew. on the other hand placeing the spare where it goes could be a good excuse for another wrecker

73m819 said:
we would put a 8x8 or so on top of the boom hoist cylinder, then set the boom down on it, this kept the boom from leaking down and the hook from getting into the lowbed goose neck, really had no problem of side to side motion. the tm does not call for boom supports when pulling a trailer, also the swing gear does not allow for free swing if you mount a boom support on the trailer
The boom supports im thinking of will go to the truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see a tire change on the M819 as well. What did you put on it Dave? The combo looks great. Will we see you at the FL Rally? LOL

GGRRRR screw the deuce tractor i need a 819 :D.... ok ok. i need both since im trying to hoard kennys trailer up here. but still.. OFFY NEEDS 819 :D.. Dang this addiction...

O yea that combination looks :drool:

Recovry4x4 said:
I see a tire change on the M819 as well. What did you put on it Dave? The combo looks great. Will we see you at the FL Rally? LOL
:ditto: cause im torn between the 1400 super singles or road tires for the wrecker.

Also what kinda feed back you got for using both setups?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
That is great Dave:
I know I was a happy camper when I won my M127 with all the side boards. That trailer looks like it was begging for you to get it. I saw one for sale recenty on GL and would have bid on it if I was home but being 9,000 miles away makes it tough. I have to count on my boys and Johnfire to get my M1031 out of the GL lot. Did it come with ramps? If not I would make them out of steel frames and oak I made a set like that and used them to load lots of heavy stuff.

citizensoldier

73m819 said:
"it took Lane and I both to replace the spare in the original spot". that is why the tm calls for a TWO man crew. on the other hand placeing the spare where it goes could be a good excuse for another wrecker

yep! I am soldier B like the manual says... :lol:

The trailer needs some love but it will be nice when we are done. Anybody have some 23" center to center 5 ton dog bones laying around? It is a very impressive rig to stand next to.

No the ramps did not come with the trailer .Data Plate says M270A1.
the tires on the M819 are the goodyear radial. they are current issue.

The spare tire that we were wrestleing with on the road was one of the 1200x20s.
Still lighter than the 1600's!
the 16's looked cool, went thru sand and mud and snow but they were just to much for the little 250 to handle.
plus with the addition of the M270 the 16's had to go.

Attachments

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
dave, what size tire is on the 819 now, i still like the look of the mil. tread of the 1200s, also take a real good look at the studs that hold the spare on, i had two break off when i pulled the spare, thay both showed signs of a old crack, scary thought of the spare comming off and going down the freeway on it own

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks