• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M819---M270

73m819 said:
dave, what size tire is on the 819 now, i still like the look of the mil. tread of the 1200s, also take a real good look at the studs that hold the spare on, i had two break off when i pulled the spare, thay both showed signs of a old crack, scary thought of the spare comming off and going down the freeway on it own
Ron the M819 tires are 1100 R20.
Thanks for the tip on the spare mount. i WILL check it out.
I to like the look of the old tires but the 1200's were not to be found.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
it took me TWO years to find mine, when i did ,thay had a new date of o4, how lucky can you get. really BFR found them and turned me on to them. i paid $2000 for 14 1200x20s, not a bad price at all

No.2Diesel

Greatest thread ever :drool:

Do you still have the rear decking? I like that you put normal sized tires back on it. I'm not into the chumba-wumba tires. My brothers 819 is running G186 12x20s. I have found a place that sells the exact same tire (same tread pattern too) but its a Firestone for $350 ea.

The manuals specify 12x20s ONLY!! :wink:

You should take a pic from far away and while turning. Thanks for your post.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
No.2Diesel said:
The manuals specify 12x20s ONLY!!
I'm thinking that was so the tires (circa 1970) would have a sufficient load rating. I would hazard a guess that those new 11R20's are rated for more than the good old 1100 20 ndt.

Flea

I think Jason@snakedriver has 14.00's on his 819/270 combination...

Personally, I love the look of the 12.00's. They're a good size, and they look good in duals.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i was going to run 1400Rs duals on combat rims if i could not find 1200s, in fact i was the process of closeing the deal on the 1400s when BFR found the 1200s

I love the look of the bigger tires. but same time dont wanta kill the truck with the bigger wheels so its been kind of a toss up. besides a 6x6 and 10x10 both have there own distinctive lookss GRR choices :lol:

jwaller

I see that it does show to be a A1 thats interesting. mine too is an A1 but with some significant differences. I guess it comes down to the MFG at that point. I dont have a spare tire rack under mine. my spare sits on the gooseneck. 1 of a few things I noticed to be different.

Flea said:
That rig looks awesome! What are the plans for it, Dave? Also, what size tires come on the trailer?

Looks killer!
the M270A1 has 1100 R20's. Plans are to use it as often as possible! build ramps for loading vehicles and whatever else i can think of.

no 2 Diesel- Yes i still have the rear fenders. the 1600's were temp as i could not find tires and wanted to use it. Im sure the tires on the M819 can handle the weight of the truck/load. been pretty busy building a shop lately but i will get better pics when time allows. this is the best i could do rite now.

David, the poor M820 has been sitting there waiting for me to get to it. you are right tho it would make a great hunt truck.

98hd- the tires are working out just fine. thanks for making them possible. I pulled the M270 with the M127 and a M105 home from Clare the other weekend with the XM818. made her flame out the pipe a little!

Jwaller- what other differences have you noticed? Does yours have the civi and Mil electric hook up?

Thanks for the responces guys.
Most of you know how much i love this old stuff and i enjoy shareing with others so we all may learn. this trailer is a 1956! cant be a whole lot of them left.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brief interruption. Ron, are you going to be in town for the GA rally? Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

73m819 said:
it took me TWO years to find mine, when i did ,thay had a new date of o4, how lucky can you get. really BFR found them and turned me on to them. i paid $2000 for 14 1200x20s, not a bad price at all
Ron, very lucky on the tires. and definatly not a bad price. as much as i use things, i really did'nt want to wear out hard to find tires when a member here sold me these. this truck is heavy and without a power divider---well you know what happens.

Attachments

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
dave, i pulled the rear driveline between the rear axles, it was like that when i did the trail ride at the last ga rally. i climed the mountain in high first (bad xcase,no low) and front wheel drive, i figure the the 819 is so HEAVY that if two axles wont get it out, it is to late anyway, i think the front is of more help then the rear axe, keeps the front from acting as a dozer

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks