• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M819+m818=m817

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was recently pleasantly surprised to read a thread and see we had a(newish)member within 25 miles of me, so I figured I must meet him(Farmer73, Dave).

After a quick phone call, I realised I could not only meet him, I could help him as well.

He has an M818 that he wanted to install an M817 dump bed on and nothing at home to lift it with. Since I have an M819, well, you guess how this ended up...

Yesterdays weather made for a few unplanned difficulties today, but with a bit of winching, that was easily overcome. A few cups of coffee and a bit of work, and we were ready to set the dump bed on his truck.

It's placed on some blocks for now, and should be easy enough to finish up when he gets to it.

Here's some pics, for those who are visually excited.

I had a great day and really look forward to doing more with my new friend!

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy frozen fingers Batman, is that snow on the ground already? We are just getting cool enough to open the windows. That 819 sure is purdy. Does the operators station have a heater?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, I love that truck! I thought of you today while using it... Actually, you and several other members who've helped me get it. No heater in the crane operators seat, yet.

One other nice memory/thought today was when in conversation, Dave Pozi came up. He is missed but not forgotten. I still smile when I think of his phrase, "we're MV bro's".

That white stuff is snow. About 18" or so. It just came yesterday. That's how we had the pleasure of doing a bit of winching today. I had to pull his truck and trailer out to where we were doing the lift. I first tried towing his truck with the M819, but just spun on the wet and hard packed snow. That's when the winch came into play.

farmer73

Doghead, I can't thank you enough! You and your M819 are BOTH incredibly awesome! I had a great time overcoming the snowy obstacles today, and I am VERY glad you contacted me. Steelsoldiers.com is, by far, the best network of good people and the best internet resource I have ever had the pleasure of stumbling across.

I look forward to working and hanging with you again. You are welcome to park at my place and go fishing ANYTIME you want, whether I'm here or on the road. And, we should definitely get together for some ice fishing in January/February.

It was great to meet you and work with you today.

Thanks a bunch,
Dave

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome work! Nice to help someone out too, even better when they are close!

I would imagine if you used the crane for a good while the oil would heat up, and warm the cab somewhat. I wonder if they make heaters, or probably more likely, heat exchangers for hydro oil you could mount in there. Or maybe figure out a way to put a flame heater and tank on?

I hope we get some fluffy white snow this year, it is rare down here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks