• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M820 RV build / M4 Van body Build

Sirblissfull

This is going to be the thread for the deconstruction and rebuild of my M820A2. The M820A2 is a variant of the M809 series 5 ton cargo truck often used for hauling calibration equipment and as a work area when in the field. Common uses also included a temporary holding area for detainees and temporary lodging when in the field.

The common issues with the M4 van body also used on some trailers and the M934 5 ton variant are leaks, insulation and damage caused to the expansion mechanisms. The time and number of able bodied people needed to expand and contract the shelter is my main issue and hence the various modifications I will be making to the box.

I will be adding further modifications to the vehicle as well such as lockers an engine swap, cab insulation and what ever else I end up having time and or money to shoe horn in.

What follows here are pictures of the rust damage and structure of the box itself. A lot of people have asked me in the past what is under the plywood and how strong the box is. This should answer those questions and then some.

Attachments

Sirblissfull

Axles and NTC 350 engine both PRE rebuild. Axles reportedly came from a Chair force fire truck. Picked them up for the lockers mostly.

20 Feb 2012

Added pics of the sand blasted axles and first shots of the heads as they were being removed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bighurt

Nice Shane good to see these pics finally making a thread, I visted both your trucks at Area X and can't wait to see the progress done.

I still want one someday...

I also want a lot of things though...LOL

WalkupRacing

Very Cool

Very Cool. I look forward to following this build. I've been thinking about turning a shipping container into a double expandable (sideways and up and down) rv and mounting it on a civilian 6x6 truck. Your way might be more cost effective.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
About time. I've been waiting for this one.
Haven't forgotten about the trailer, I'll check back into it when I get back down there . . . still at the Black Rock.

Gunfreak25

I want to get a van body truck someday but man, they can be a real job to tear down and rebuild. Lots of stuff under those walls.

Sirblissfull

There is an amazing amount of work that goes into tearing these boxes apart.

The number of screws and rivets in the ceiling panels alone was surprising.

I had paid a couple of guys to do the tear down work for me, they got about half way done so far working on it part time. We are getting ready to strip the insulation from the exterior panels and deciding how to proceed with the rebuild.

As you can see from the pics in the initial post there is quite a bit of repair to the wall braces needed. I am looking at putting a thicker skin on it as well so I want to have the exterior panels cut and ready to mount as we do the repair work. I am pricing steel for the build now.

Jeep4life22

I am happy to run across this thread. I was bidding on one of these trucks but backed off as I realized that I wasnt sure who would get ti home for me. I am just now leaving out on my deployment to the sandbox. So I will plan and plan while I am gone and buy when I get back. I am wondering if this setup is too big or should I go with a duece and shelter on back. I will watching with great intetnt please keep us posted and good luck with your project.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks