• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M870A1 Recovery with Tru-Hitch

M920

Thanks for the great pics James.
I see the Tru-hitch worked awesome.... I like the way you used the two pipe sections to spread out the load out on to multiple cross members....very thoughtful!
Did you get the rear outriggers / supports that hook in to the slots on the side of the rear deck when you bought yours? If not, let me know if you need any pics or dimmensions of them. I had to make new ones since they where missing on mine and close to impossible to find. I also had to replace the trunnion bushings on the walking beams of the suspension. you might make sure they are ok.
Keep us posted with pics, as you get it fixed up....:grd:

Soni

M1075

Thanks for the great pics James.
I see the Tru-hitch worked awesome.... I like the way you used the two pipe sections to spread out the load out on to multiple cross members....very thoughtful!
Did you get the rear outriggers / supports that hook in to the slots on the side of the rear deck when you bought yours? If not, let me know if you need any pics or dimmensions of them. I had to make new ones since they where missing on mine and close to impossible to find. I also had to replace the trunnion bushings on the walking beams of the suspension. you might make sure they are ok.
Keep us posted with pics, as you get it fixed up....:grd:

Soni
Good eye on the pipe. It looked like it might tweak a cross-member so we gathered up some pipe to spread the load. No rear outriggers included, but I would be interested in a picture showing these being used. No idea on the trunnion bushings. I don't even know what those are. ;-)

StreetbikeDepot

I figured you would snag that up......I looked it over and passed on the deal; I thought he was bit high on the price after looking at it. How hard did you kick him in the shins on it or did you give his asking price? I thought about offering him a bit more than scrap price on it but decided I didnt need another project of that magnitude.

M1075

Does anyone know if/where VIN would be stamped on frame? The gooseneck looks like it may have been replaced. Would gooseneck and main trailer body both be stamped with a VIN?

Bighurt

In all my years with military trailers the data plate is the only marking of any kind I've found. That being said, it's not all together possible there isn't another point of identification.

The M870 series trailer was manufactured in Elk Point, SD by Load King their number is (888) 264-5522, I'd give them a call and explain the situation. Always ask for a supervisor if the sales guy gives you flack. President is Tim Maxson (605) 356-3301 ext 101, he maybe the last resort.

Bighurt

G I don't even know what those are.
If you were serious the trunnion tube connects the equalizing beam to the frame the bushing is obvious, but its a key component of the suspension. It's quite the procedure to replace...good thing you have an M816's LOL

M1075

In all my years with military trailers the data plate is the only marking of any kind I've found. That being said, it's not all together possible there isn't another point of identification.

The M870 series trailer was manufactured in Elk Point, SD by Load King their number is (888) 264-5522, I'd give them a call and explain the situation. Always ask for a supervisor if the sales guy gives you flack. President is Tim Maxson (605) 356-3301 ext 101, he maybe the last resort.
The M870A1 was made by Shoals American Industries but they look to be out of business now. (Load King made the original M870 trailers.) I think Pinnacle Technologies in Shoals, AL might be the successor. I'll try to give them a call.

Bighurt

The M870A1 was made by Shoals American Industries but they look to be out of business now. (Load King made the original M870 trailers.) I think Pinnacle Technologies in Shoals, AL might be the successor. I'll try to give them a call.
I guess I assumed that since they are covered in the same tech data they were made by the same company. My bad...

Load king still makes the civilian version of the the M870.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if/where VIN would be stamped on frame? The gooseneck looks like it may have been replaced. Would gooseneck and main trailer body both be stamped with a VIN?
I know my M870 has a tag on the neck. I'm not sure if the frame is stamped somewhere or not. If it is I've never seen it ( I went over it pretty good when I was cleaning it for paint).

M1075

I know my M870 has a tag on the neck. I'm not sure if the frame is stamped somewhere or not. If it is I've never seen it ( I went over it pretty good when I was cleaning it for paint).
Could you post or PM me a picture of your data plate? I'm might have to "create" one and need a bettter example than the manual provides.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks