• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M870A3---> My Valentine

M1075

It definitely takes a wet line. Judging from the pics in the link, I guess they are designed for the newer style M916 (Freightliner).

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
maddawg308 said:
Two lowboys humping. Is this how smaller equipment trailers are born? ;)
rofl

(maddawg308, You were born with imagination and creativity! You need to capitalize on that somewhere!)

Description
M870A3, 40 TON CAPACITY, LOWBOY, SEMI-TRAILERS WITH ASSOCIATED SUPPLIED ITEMS OF EQUIPMENT SUCH AS BASIC ISSUE ITEMS, HYDRAULIC INTERFACE (HSI) KITS AND AUTHORIZED STOCK LIST (ASL) KITS. NSN: 2330-01-458-2061. THE M870A3 SEMI-TRAILER IS USED TO HAUL TRACKED AND WHEELED CONSTRUCTION, ENGINEERING, AND MATERIAL HANDLING EQUIPMENT ON PAVED HIGHWAYS AND OFF-ROAD TRAILS. THE M870A3 SEMI-TRAILER HAS AN EXTREME MISSION PROFILE THAT REQUIRES ITS DESIGN AND MANUFACTURE TO BE ROBUST ENOUGH TO WITHSTAND THE RIGORS OF EXTENSIVE ON AND OFF-ROAD TRAVEL.

http://www.tpub.com/content/trucktractor6x4/TM-5-2330-325-14-P/

citizensoldier

RE: Your nuts!

Oh and I forgot.. If they need someone to observe them and document their mating habbits I would be more than glad to do so.. Might even try some interbreeding with some other OD iron that I drag home on them.. Very nice trailers man.. they look to be the right legal width and everything..

rizzo

the goose neck comes off by hydraulics. the wet line is the hydro line from the tractor, a Wet kit is the whole hydro setup. pump, pto, lines, oil tank.

jeli

Rattlehead said:
Wow, that trailer weighs 24k empty!
I calculated the M870 with M916A1 weighs in around 52K empty. D7's run 55K depending on ripper or winch versions. Never hauled a D8. It does handle 110K loaded quite well.

I'm still undecided on the A3 trailer. Yes the fold down version gets a lot of dirt on the 5th wheel plate but the A3 may be tough to get reconnected off road. I've seen commercial operators have issues rehooking trailers like this on blacktop. I had to drop my fold down 870 at NTC while in a sandy turn. I got stuck making the turn with a D7 on it. Once we off loaded the cat I rehooked and drove right out. This one in the same situation might be a PITA. That is unless the rear of the trailer is strong enough to allow you to walk off the back.

gunner01

We own and operate a trailer just like these but civi.. when breaking loose is compremised due to terrain we load/offload from the side. We have also come off the rear of the trailer but to come up, one would need to create a dirt berm/ramp. Anybody who gets these trailers will be very happy as talking with experience ours is the heart of our mobilization. Also be prepared to get high centered if taking off road as the have a VERY low ground clearance.

blackdog

I'm not sure what the nomenclature is exactly but the Marine Corps is getting a bunch of these brand new right now, I don't think they are the same as posted above though as the gooseneck is more squared and with a tire instead of a toolbox -- probably because they're LVS specific or something. The museum has an M870, M870A1 and M870A2... we haul them with M818 or M931...

Brian

Army2007

I operate this Model trailer and it is very nice. I am and engineer with the Wisconsin National Guard and there are some things that cant be hauled with it but it is very nice.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i think id rather have a fold down goose neck, would give me more useable deck space, easier to drag dead stuff onborad, we use both types in the oil field, each has there uses , the 870a3 looks nice but a fold down would work better for tha 819. having one of each also would be nice, if that was the case i would HAVE to get the xm983 going. where is the MV money tree when you need it

Army2007

Hey i agree the fold down is a good trailer for stuff that is harder to get on but this is easier to operate and only takes one person. i have used both for the guard so its good to have both for stuff that cant get over the front connectors .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks