• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M871 Rebuild

Bighurt

Yes I'm going to mill it myself with a table saw.

If that doesn't fair well on the first board, I'll revert to router jig.

I still have my big table set up at the ex's, it'll eat the oak just fine if the little guy here doesn't.

Diablo blades turn an otherwise crappy saw into something useful.

Another Ahab

Yes I'm going to mill it myself with a table saw.

If that doesn't fair well on the first board, I'll revert to router jig.

I still have my big table set up at the ex's, it'll eat the oak just fine if the little guy here doesn't.

Diablo blades turn an otherwise crappy saw into something useful.
Cast Iron table?

Another Ahab

On my shop saw yes, it's a large 3 hp cabinet saw.

On my site saw no, but I tie it to the pick-up and it doesn't move.

Thanks Jim, glad to see you still lurk and post occasionally. I had planned to paint the M915a1 as well but winter is drawing close.
I like it and once I set up the new shop I hope to add a slider to the mix.

I'm also hoping to add a CNC router to the arsenal, and a roubo bench. I have eclectic taste in woodworking.

Photo.jpg

Another Ahab

I bought a floor kit from these guys:

The kit came with everything for a M871 deck. Wasnt cheap but it was a screw in kit precut and treated. Installed in 1 day
Looks like some kind of tropical hardwood (or maybe it's some kind of treated domestic oak, or ash?). Any idea what's the wood species of that decking?

Last edited:

Bighurt

Any updated pictures Jeremy? That trailer looks Awesome! !!
No nothing yet, I bid a big job and lost and have been trying to get winter prep done...with no success. So I kinda stopped working the deck.

My ex finally paid me a large sum of money she owed me so that will help. I need some 300 bolts to tie the deck down which means 300 holes in white oak. Might need a few bits.

I'm going to set up the saw this weekend and try and ship lap the first row. However each board is super heavy and I'm feeling less and less that the saw method will work. So I might resort to the router. If that's the case I'll just by a the 3-1/4 HP Porter Cable I want and a pair of rabbet bits and nibble them a bit at a time. Which is actually a better method.

I'll be sure to take pictures.

Bighurt

Well I finally managed to get the deck on. This is dry fit, but it isn't going anywhere now I have to mark and drill the holes.

I skipped the ship lap bu the end boards are tenoned into the trailer.

Fun stuff!

Attachments

Artisan

Are you going to pre-paint / treat all 6 sides of each board before
anchoring them down or goin' All-Natural' ?

Bighurt

Are you going to pre-paint / treat all 6 sides of each board before
anchoring them down or goin' All-Natural' ?
Natural, I don't have the time to coat them. Part of the reason I skipped the ship lap the deck should drain well.

This trailer is getting a tarp kit next year so they will have limited exposure, and white oak has a natural resistance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks