• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M871 trailer with S280 shelter, anyone have pics?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So I've got a M871 trailer (Recovery thread to be posted today, when my wife drops off my cell phone). I'm looking at a S280 shelter or an expanding unit I've found. I know the M871 trailer is setup for ISO containers (20ft). But do any of the locking rings and such work with a S280 sized shelter? After getting the trailer and realizing how tall it is even with 11.00's on my truck, I don't think I'll plan on making ramps for it to haul a truck. I'd like to set one of those expanding units towards the hitch of the truck as close as possible. Then use ~8ft of the trailer for a "porch".

Anyone used a M871 and shelter in this fashion? Got any pics?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Putting the 280 on the 871 is a chain/strap down affair, none of the 871's iso container clips are compatible. I have never used my 871 once since getting it. The low bed trailers are so much more useful than the dock height trailers for most of what we do.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, the 871 was the most affordable trailer for it's size that I could find. I kinda wanted to find a means of locking it down via the frame to allow the expando unit to open freely without unstrapping. I'm sure that something could be fabricated though. I'm just not certain of the DOT implications of "bolting" on a unit?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Does anyone have a TM for it? I found a partial one online, but it was only 7 pages long and didn't cover much. I'm not certain of the model of these expanding units yet either.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thought the expanding shelters had to be on the ground before they are opened up

Yeah, I've lost count of the number of 3 in 1 shelters I had to help set up when I was active duty but I never once saw one that set up like that with power everything. Of course things could have changed since I got out.

NEIOWA

Easiest thing would be to get an Dolly (4whl) of capacity to handle your ISO or 280 shelter. The 20ft single fold ISO shelter sitting in my yard has dolly fittings. None of the 280 (5ea) do. The dolly fittings for 280 shelters are an accessory kit. I have yet to learn of anyone that has come up with a TM of NSN/part# for the kit. Would certainly like to have this info.

The ISO is going on an M720 dolly set as a mobile FD commandpost/rehab center. If I find a M832 in the Iowa area would like to upgrade but have the 720s OH.

135gmc

There's an ad right now in the Classified section for an Erdlator (water treatment truck) that was gutted and turned into a semi-camper. One side is fixed, and one side folds down like an M447 trailer. Nice and compact on the road, plus about 4 ft wider when parked. To my mind, that would be a whole lot easier (plus more space) than stacking an S-280 shelter on a trailer.