• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M872A1 backup lights

ClintA

So I am thinking about putting backup lights on the M872A1 cattle trailer because sometimes the sun goes down before we are done working for the day. Sometimes there is not a pickup to shine the lights on when needed backing up to a loading shute.
So I ask how does one go about wiring it so I can unhook the tractor?
How would a professional MV electrician do this job?
Thanks in advance, Clint

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, if you never plan on using the "black out" lights, just use the black out light circuit. All you have to do to turn on the aux lights is move the switch on the 3-lever.

Thats How I did my reverse lights on my deuce.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well, if you never plan on using the "black out" lights, just use the black out light circuit. All you have to do to turn on the aux lights is move the switch on the 3-lever.

X2

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

ClintA

OK, But can you keep your headlights on doing that?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why cut anything out? There are several spare pins in the plug. Other Nato countries use them, but US vehicles don't. Just use pins M & N. And that keeps your blackout system intact. You might have to run new wires to the receptacle on the truck and then on from the plug on the trailer.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
OK, But can you keep your headlights on doing that?
No

Why cut anything out? There are several spare pins in the plug. Other Nato countries use them, but US vehicles don't. Just use pins M & N. And that keeps your blackout system intact. You might have to run new wires to the receptacle on the truck and then on from the plug on the trailer.
Good to know, I wasn't aware of that.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can add a few lights on different switches if you want and just use the standard 4 wire trailer roll of wire you can buy. Then add a 4 flat trailer connector up on the tounge. Then add a 4 flat to the truck side coming from whatever switch you wanted to install if you wanted to use multiple lights to come on at different areas. I use that trailer wiring on mine since it is already together and easier to run than multiple wires and its a quick disconnect